Why become a member? ×

Recording software.

mikel

I have a Zoom H4N hand held recorder and I believe it can be used as a recording interface between vocal/instruments and computer recording. Can anyone recommend decent cheap recording software, such as Cubase or similar. There are lots listed on music websites but the prices vary so much and I have no idea what they all do.Can you help a digital recording newbie please? I only need some basic recording software.

PC or Mac?
Reaper is great on both PC & Mac, but if you have a Mac, then GarageBand is free & superb.

Oh, & you could have a look at the sticky in the "recording" section. Full of helpful stuff. :D

Edited by xgsjx

yep, Reaper is the bees knees, only Cubase has more users and it's over ten times the price. Reaper is $60, for at least two or three years, maybe more, a licence lasts for two full versions. Fully tweakable. Fully featured. Top quality.

Oh, and probably the best feature for new users?, an awesome forum full of helpful people and lots of free tutorial vids too.

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1492064188' post='3277521']
yep, Reaper is the bees knees, only Cubase has more users and it's over ten times the price. Reaper is $60, for at least two or three years, maybe more, a licence lasts for two full versions. Fully tweakable. Fully featured. Top quality.

[b]Oh, and probably the best feature for new users?, an awesome forum full of helpful people and lots of free tutorial vids too.[/b]
[/quote]

Oops. Red face. I have never scrolled that far down the menu list before. Thanks for that.

I moved from Sonar to Reaper at around version 1.xx when Sonar 8.5.2 started playing up on my machine. Although I still have a current Sonar 3 licence I havent really looked back since switching to Reaper.
However if you are looking for something that "just works" but makes you do things the way IT wants you to, probably Studio One, which I gave up on at version 2.6

Audacity will work if all you want is absolutely basic no-frills recording software & might be a good-ish place to start, but you ARE going to want something better/fancier pretty soon I think.
Reaper is especially good if you have never used any other DAW software before, as you won`t have all those habits from the previous software to un-learn!

...but I spend way too much time posting on the Reaper forum, TBH. Should be making music. Be wARNED!
:rolleyes:

Edited by ivansc

So, did anyone mention how good Reaper is yet? :)

lol

I've been using it for many years now, even on professional releases that I have recorded session bass on. I do use Logic Pro X too as I often am sent complete sessions using said app, but I love the fast and easy workflow of Reaper and the niggle free experience I have with it. Logic sometimes has no Logic. Reaper just does what you want, when you want.

I'll stand up for Logic X if you go the Mac route. Loads of online videos, forums etc and for the money it is pretty amazing...loads of loops, loads of presets - what else do you need ? (Awaits someone to predictably say Reaper...not tried it personally but mildly intrigued :D )

+1 for Acoustica Mixcraft (for Windows) ... I have the Pro Studio 7 version and it's excellent .... I tried Reaper a few years ago & didn't get on with the interface, but I know it gets great reviews so maybe it just didn't suit me ... then I found Mixcraft & it just seemed so much easier to get to grips with ... for Mac, Logic is probably a no-brainer, or garage band if you need a free version

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492343105' post='3279508']
A friend offered me his Sonar Platinum. Any love for that?
[/quote]

It's more than likely a good DAW, plenty of people use it.
But, it is a subscription model DAW, so you won't be entitled to any updates unless you purchase a license.
Technically, your friend offering you 'his Sonar Platinum' is breaking the Cakewalk terms and conditions. (unless he has not registered it yet, of course)
Not that anyone is likely to know, or indeed, even care... :)

I believe they do a downloadable 30 day demo (as do most vendors), why not give it a try ?

[b][i]"You cannot sell or give away any version of Sonar once you've installed it and accepted the license agreement. You do not own Sonar, you only own a license to use it that is non-transferable".[/i][/b]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1492075913' post='3277655']
Cheers guys, I knew BC would come up with the goods. Respect. Just one thing. How important is the quality of the audio interface? As I say I have a Zoom H4, will that be ok with reaper?
[/quote]

Any interface will work with Reaper, but you won't know if the sound out of it is acceptable to you until you start to record with it. I use a cheap Focusrite Scarlett and the quality is way better than I expected from a $120 unit.