Why become a member? ×

Effect for legato to boost quiet notes?

visog

Hi all,

This may possibly morph into another compressor thread but I'm trying to find an effect that will boost the quieter notes of legato lines.

So I'm getting a sweet tone out of a Two Notes Le Bass but I'd like to boost the quieter notes of a legato line say from a hammer-on from the 3rd to the 4th finger which is markedly lower in volume in say, a hammer from the 1st to the 3rd finger, or the whole range of pull-offs.

I suppose the solution could be a booster pedal but I'd be keen to hear from the tone and pedal connoisseurs out there.

Any suggestions?
Visog

A Compressor is your friend, will bring everything together, loud notes down quiet notes up.

if you get a booster you will just make everything louder rather than the quiet notes.

i use a cali 76 bc from origin but this is a comp that colours the sound, something like a boss cs3 or lmb-3 are cool for a cheap and simple solution and they both sound good.

Edited by 0175westwood29

The Cali comes up a lot. One to look at. What about a SuperSymetry? Any recommendations for this style of playing with notes driven from the left hand and as a consequence, a volume discrepancy between hammer-ons and pull-offs and strong/weak fingers? (I know my technique should be better - don't judge me.)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1492025268' post='3277334']
The Cali comes up a lot. One to look at. What about a SuperSymetry? Any recommendations for this style of playing with notes driven from the left hand and as a consequence, a volume discrepancy between hammer-ons and pull-offs and strong/weak fingers? (I know my technique should be better - don't judge me.)
[/quote]

Not played the dg but from videos it's more transparent than the Cali, I like what it does to the sound but some dnt.

No judging here, like I said that's a compressors job to level bring down the spikes and raise up the lower notes, the dg and Cali both have blend controls so you can also keep the dynamics of your playing

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1492022037' post='3277309']
A Compressor is your friend, will bring everything together, loud notes down quiet notes up.

if you get a booster you will just make everything louder rather than the quiet notes.

[/quote]

Spot on, a compressor will even everything out rather than just boosting what's already there including any existing volume differences from 3rd/4th finger pull offs.

Depending on your budget there are a million different options to choose from. Here's the inevitable link to [url="http://www.ovnilab.com"]Ovnilabs[/url] :)

My current favourite compressor is the mini TC Electronics Spectracomp. It offers pretty much any and every type of compression available, whether you're after subtle and transparent or something much more coloured and/or squashed. The versatility of this little thing cannot be overstated. There's loads of different sounds and flavours of compression available just through the [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/spectracomp-bass-compressor/toneprints/"]free tone prints available on TC's website.[/url]

There's also a free tone print editor you can download to fully customise your own settings if you're knowledgeable enough about these things. But unless you're after something very specific that you can't find anywhere else you'll probably never need to dabble with it. I seem to recall that it has something like 30 or 40 different configurable parameters. For my needs, there's more than enough to keep me going just with the tone prints.

No-one is judging your technique. The idea that compressors somehow correct or compensate for poor technique is only spouted by people who don't understand the principles of compression or how to apply them :P

Edited by Osiris