Why become a member? ×

Bugera all-valve job

shug

Just bought a BVV3000 Infinium. Early indications are pretty promising to be fair. Already feel it to be better than the SVT-VR which I got a few years back in terms as sound quality, at least.
A kitchen test shows it to be quiet (in terms of hiss and hum and background noise) and all the controls have a tight, positive feel. Although new, I bought it as B-stock with no manual, The amp is simplicity itself but I wouldn't mind a bit more info on the infinium valve condition-indicator thingie on the back. I'll have to get me printer working and download one, I guess.
Got three gigs this weekend and I should be able to use it on at least two of 'em. I haven't got an 8x10 any more but my Aguilar 4x12 will be fine I'm sure.Given Bugera's rep I'll be taking a spare head...
I'll keep y'all informed...
Shug

Have had 3 since Christmas! Bought one from Bugera Kidderminster (reconditioned) and had a microphonic valve. Instead of just sending me a new set of valves, they sent me a whole new amp. That one blew up the second I switched it on. They then sent me another one, that valve replacement lights went on within 3 days of receiving it. Opted to get a refund. It's a shame as I rate Bugera stuff (I have 2 guitar amps) and really wanted them to work. They sounded great when they worked. Also, customer service was amazing. Hope it works out for you, I've gone with a Laney Nexus tube in the end.

[quote name='jimmy23cricket' timestamp='1492283885' post='3279248']
Have had 3 since Christmas! Bought one from Bugera Kidderminster (reconditioned) and had a microphonic valve. Instead of just sending me a new set of valves, they sent me a whole new amp. That one blew up the second I switched it on. They then sent me another one, that valve replacement lights went on within 3 days of receiving it. Opted to get a refund. It's a shame as I rate Bugera stuff (I have 2 guitar amps) and really wanted them to work. They sounded great when they worked. Also, customer service was amazing. Hope it works out for you, I've gone with a Laney Nexus tube in the end.
[/quote]

Blimey, Jimmy Cricket, sounds like you've had a torrid time.
Used mine again last night and it performed great. I used an early 70's SVT for many years, the sound of which I've been trying to recapture ever since and this amp is just how I remember it being. I've had an SVT-VR (sh*t sound, unbelievably, and unreliable to boot) and a regular modern SVT rig (which wasn't much cop, either) in the last 5 years or so and the Buggerer is for sure better sounding.
So, it's just down to the reliability. I don't imagine there's anything inside which can't be replaced so I'll carry on using it and see how it goes.
Fingers crossed...
Shug

@jimmy23cricket Well to be fair, I had a few problems with my Ampeg soon after I bought it. I took it to an amp tech who corrected all the crappy solders and I have not had a problem for 5 years. If it really sounds that good and is so cheap, might have been worth doing the same.

Edited by Max Normal

@Max Normal. As I bought it from Bugera direct, it came with a 3 year warranty. Taking it to a tech would have voided that. As mentioned, I really wanted it to work as I overall feel the sound was good and I rate their stuff (I feel the bad rap that thes amps get is not warranted)

Had I bought it second hand, I would have had it to a tech to sort as I feel there were minor issues that could be fixed. The general impression I get with Bugera stuff is that if it goes wrong, it goes wrong quickly (and your warranty kicks in). If it works, it works well for years. My gut feel is that buying recondtioned amps was not a good idea as they were the ones that had gone wrong early and been returned!

Anyway, I hope the OP has all the luck and it works for years as I feel on the whole they are awsome amps (and upgradeable!)

[quote name='shug' timestamp='1492032001' post='3277416']
Just bought a BVV3000 Infinium. Early indications are pretty promising to be fair. Already feel it to be better than the SVT-VR which I got a few years back in terms as sound quality, at least.
A kitchen test shows it to be quiet (in terms of hiss and hum and background noise) and all the controls have a tight, positive feel. Although new, I bought it as B-stock with no manual, The amp is simplicity itself but I wouldn't mind a bit more info on the infinium valve condition-indicator thingie on the back. I'll have to get me printer working and download one, I guess.
Got three gigs this weekend and I should be able to use it on at least two of 'em. I haven't got an 8x10 any more but my Aguilar 4x12 will be fine I'm sure.Given Bugera's rep I'll be taking a spare head...
I'll keep y'all informed...
Shug
[/quote]

Where did you get it? Pre-owned, I take it? I just spent the last half hour trying to find one and every website said discontinued.

Hi @ FunkyDunky
I got it as Brand-New-B-Stock from Music UK in Kidderminster via Reverb. It came in at £368 delivered, in its original packaging and to all appearances brand new untouched. There is a date code on it - 12 03 - which might indicate 2012 manufacture which could suggest it's been sold and returned as faulty, repaired and re-sold. I did the third gig with it yesterday, in a medium sized marquee, and it once again did the business without missing a beat.
If you're looking for one I should save-search it on Reverb and Ebay etc. One'll come up, I'm sure. There was a non-runner (fault light on and no output) went on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £102!
Good Luck!
Shug

• 4 months later...

Hello Everybody!
Update on the ol' Buggerer...
Started using it in April and, although I don't take to every gig, it's probably been out 15-20 times and all well so far. Sounds great and doesn't give me any cause for concern. Gets a lot of comps on the bass sound.
I'd def. recommend it as a cost effective alternative to an SVT, for sure. I'd put it against one anytime and challenge anyone to tell the difference in a blindfold test.
I think I'll start looking around for tatty old 8x10 to put it with...

[quote name='shug' timestamp='1503861567' post='3361223']
Hello Everybody!
Update on the ol' Buggerer...
Started using it in April and, although I don't take to every gig, it's probably been out 15-20 times and all well so far. Sounds great and doesn't give me any cause for concern. Gets a lot of comps on the bass sound.
I'd def. recommend it as a cost effective alternative to an SVT, for sure. I'd put it against one anytime and challenge anyone to tell the difference in a blindfold test.
I think I'll start looking around for tatty old 8x10 to put it with...
[/quote]