Why become a member? ×

Strings. Whats on your main gigging bass and why

bassjim

Dunlop SuperBright Nickels 45-105 for me. Was looking for a low tension set and various threads and indeed the Dunlop web page were particularly keen to point out that they were surprisingly low tension. Got a set and have been very impressed for over a year with them now.

I gig every weekend (always 1, sometimes 2 or 3 gigs) and they last at least 3 months for me. I do always wipe down after a gig though, so YMMV!

Can be had for sub £20 on ebay too. Lovely.

Have you tried pushing down on the string before the bridge to make sure its seated correctly?

However I too have a set of the cheap Roto strings on and they are a bit noisy especially the E! Im using the 35-95 set with a low action and hardly any neck relief so a gentle touch is required. My fretting hand is loving them.
Only bought them as the shop had no flats in stock even though they said they did. So thought I would try a really light gauge.

Normally play fender flats and will go back to them next month. The consistency has been good with them and they are bright enough to cover many genres. Some people don't like the tension but they are actually ok and lower tension than other flats I've tried.

Fender P bass - La Bella flat wounds, because they just really suit the tone and feel of that particular vintage bass.

Lull PJ4 - D'Addario XL165 nickel round wounds, because its more of an all-rounder than the Fender, so covers greater range sonically.

Epi Jack Casady came secondhand with TI flats on it - happy with them so haven't changed the. Yamaha BB604 wears one of a number of nickel/steel round wounds on it. It's a more modern sounding bass and works well with punchy round wounds.

I use to use Rotosound Swing Bass for years, and i still like the tone of them.

I've also got some DR Pure Blues and a set of D'Daddario NYXLs, neither of which i've got round to opening yet!

stainless DR Fat Beams. They feel good, sound 'oomphy' once they lose their initial (annoying to me) brightness (any roundwound, but specially steels, I find them too bright to start with and gets me reaching for my treble knob and turning it down). I like many others, but these are by far the nicest, for my liking, on pretty much any bass.

plan B is Labella White Nylon tapewounds... very low tension and lovely growly midrange on a Jazz...