Why become a member? ×

Strings. Whats on your main gigging bass and why

bassjim

Hi Folks

Yes this again..........

Possibly thinking about trying some others out again. But before that....

I'm using cheapo roto sounds and have been for quite some time. Nickel over steel. On a jazz bass. I like the feel of them and usually the quality is pretty consistent. I'm usually very happy with the way my bass sounds and plays with them on. The output is fine. Tone is good.

However...
Recently on a new set, I've been getting a buzzy rattle on the E string. It stops if I place a finger over the bridge saddle so I can only guess its probably not been wound correctly at the factory end. Its not the bass because if I change the string for another, new or old it stops. (bass set up is fine. I do my own set ups so nothing odd going on here)
If I complain about duff strings I get sent spares so no biggie. Probably down to a bad batch. But I still stick with them as its kind of the devil you know.

What I also like about them is they dont feel too taught if you know what I mean. Other strings I've tried have been either overly bouncy and bendy whilst others feel like rods of steel.
On a price point they are ok too. If I shop around about £12.00 - £15.00 which is ok for me. So from a cost vrs what I get its good.

Ok so why look at change if its all working? Well that's you lot come in and why I would ask the following question. Is it worth another bout of trial and error only to come back to what I know?

So, out of interest what do you use and why. Not looking for what you feel is inferior type of string to yours, just an explanation of why you use your preferred brand.

Fanku.

I too was a Swing Bass 66 man for some years. I then started to try different stuff, if only because I became aware of more than Rotosound, EB and Fender.

The best strings I've tried so far have be Thomastik Infeld, either round (Power Bass) or flat (Jazz Bass). Best tone by miles and a good balance of tension.

Not very cheap, but deals can be found (Thomann springs to mind).

I use flats on a fretless, but that's not what you're looking for. If you're using cheap Roto's and have learned to deal with inconsistensies, the question becomes, are you willing to pay more for a better string. Which is more important, better quality or cheap price?

I recently replaced my 5 year old GHS flats with TI flats on my P bass. This seems to have been a good move because the guys in the band commented favourably on the next gig, and without any prompting from me.

The J basses have either DR Lo-Rider or Dunlop Super Brights.

Rotosound Swingbass 66 steel rounds. Hate that they only last a month, but no other string gets me that sound. Looking at the plus side, having to change my strings every month means I also maintain the instrument pretty well.

Stainless DR LoRiders. Moved from stainless DR HiBeams recently, as I prefer the higher tension in the strings. Best strings I've ever used and they last for blooming ages - which is great as I'm not particularly a fan of coated strings. Oh - and they are pretty bright without being harsh... but not so bright that you can't get rid of the brightness if required.

Edited by EBS_freak

D'Addarios nickel EXL190.
Recently bought set of DR's but not put them on my jazz as yet.

Liked the Fender nickels as well.

Can't get used to Rotosound strings at all

Dave

EDIT with reasons for using. :-
D'Addarios because the nickel is not as harsh on fingers, They don't sound as biting as steels, They seem to last a bit longer than Rotosounds or Fender nickels i was using before that. They have a better balance of tone across the strings. They aren't hugely expensive .These reasons are probably subjective and others will have different opinions.

DR's i still haven't put on my bass yet but just thought iw ould see what all the fuss was about. Are expensive tho.

I do have Elixirs on some basses and altho more expensive they will last up to a year without massive tonal change. I do however find they have more tension than D'Addarios or Fenders. They also have a nice even tonal balance across the strings.

Edited by dmccombe7

Interesting. I can't stand D'Addario EXLs, but have always found Rotosound's comfortable.

Funny ol' world, eh?

I also realise I've missed the point of this thread.

Cort: Pyramid Gold 40-100
T-bird: Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 flats
Jazz: TI 'Jazz' JF344 flats.
Dobro: D'Addario 'Chromes' flatwounds

Edited by Tonteee

Legacys from Strings Direct

Because they are only 7 quid a set.

Used Fender flats for years, but they got too pricey for me, so I had a go with the cheap rounds, and after a couple of gigs I couldn't hear the difference anymore, once they've deadened up a bit they thump quite nicely.

I really like Warwick Red - cheap and you can buy two set packs, They are consistent, I've not found a bad set yet.
[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warwick-Red-Label-Bass-045-105/dp/B0002GVBIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1492083777&sr=1-1&keywords=warwick+red"]https://www.amazon.c...rds=warwick+red [/url]

[u][url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warwick-Red-Label-Bass-045-105/dp/B0002GVBIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1492083777&sr=1-1&keywords=warwick+red"][color=#000000]NB they arent actually red.I'm unsure how yellow label differs. [/color][/url][/u]

Fender 7250s are nice too. [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-737250406-7250M-String-Guitar/dp/B003B0CHG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492083694&sr=8-1&keywords=fender+7250+bass+strings"]https://www.amazon.c...50+bass+strings[/url]

Edited by Geek99

I used to use Warwick Reds... looking for a different sound and feel, I made the change to nickels and used Roto RB nickels for a while, then changed to D'Add EXLs. Then last year I decided to experiment with Elixirs to see what the fuss was about, and am now a complete convert. These things are [i]amazing[/i].

Was Roto 66 40 - 100. Now Ernie Ball Slinkys for the 45 G. However, I'm playing more and more fretless and I really like the Cobalts I have on that. They do have a slightly weird feel when brand new, but they've stayed relatively bright (for a flat) and I've had them on since December.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1492076897' post='3277678']
Rotosound Swingbass 66 steel rounds. Hate that they only last a month, but no other string gets me that sound. Looking at the plus side, having to change my strings every month means I also maintain the instrument pretty well.
[/quote]

Exactly this. I'd used Roto 66s for about 15 years but a couple of years ago changed to D'Addario Prosteels as a bass I bought came with them and they sounded decent enough and lasted longer.
Went back to my old Rotosounds a couple of months ago as I'd been missing something in my sound and they just sounded and felt so much better! I'm sticking with them now.

I've always been a Swing Bass 66 user simply because that's what I've always used and like the sound of. I thought I'd try something different a few years ago and bought some LaBella Hard Rockin' Steel, and I loved those too. I'll stick with Rotosound for my main strings though, if nothing else to support a British company.