Why become a member? ×

Rare bass lost in post. UPDATE.

alembic1989

Hello gentlemen.
I recently bought a pretty rare bass from a guy in France, paid for it with PayPal... got the tracking details, but the status of the tracking has been unchanged for 2 weeks. The seller has been great..plenty of communication by email etc. So I've had to open a case with PayPal to try to get my money back. I'd rather have the bass tbh...but it doesn't feel like its gonna show up.....gutted.

Edited by alembic1989

The tracking should show where it currently sits.

I've found Parcelforce central HUB to be a nightmare at Xmas time. Things just seem to disappear from there even tho it clearly shows it being scanned on arrival. Just a huge black hole and they are no help at all when you enquire.
I avoid ordering anything in December if i can help it. All Xmas pressies are ordered in Nov latest. Sad i know but hell it works for me. :D

Dave

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1492101449' post='3277998']
Nightmare!
Have you contacted the actually courier to see what was shipped. Where it is etc. They will have the weight if not the dimensions. Then you can determine if a bass was actually shipped.
[/quote]

Unfortunately it is only the person who booked and paid for the courier who can talk to them. Leads to some very frustrating situations. alembic1989 has the sender contacted the courier?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1492108580' post='3278069']

Unfortunately it is only the person who booked and paid for the courier who can talk to them. Leads to some very frustrating situations. alembic1989 has the sender contacted the courier?
[/quote]

Yes I believe he has..and you're right only the sender can talk to the courier. However now that a case has been opened PayPal asked me to no longer contact the seller.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1492164086' post='3278360']
I guess that's in case the seller is scamming you.
Did the seller not provide you with the tracking number. ?
You can then tell where it went lost.

Dave
[/quote]

The seller sent the tracking details straight away...trouble is that the status hasn't changed since 28 th march...and gives no helpful info.

Is it a well known courier as tracking info remaining unchanged is a bit unusual these days with modern scanning techniques. Not saying it doesn't happen but quite rare.
Is the tracking number genuine. was the item picked up from sender and where does it sit at moment. ?

Dave

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1492162735' post='3278345']
Yes I believe he has..and you're right only the sender can talk to the courier. However now that a case has been opened PayPal asked me to no longer contact the seller.
[/quote]

Good luck, hope it gets resolved for all parties.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1492166464' post='3278397']
Surely that depends on where it was last seen? If it's made it to the shores of Blighty and then gone awol, I would be included to get keep badgering whoever has received it here. I've done this before when basses have been "status unchanged" regardless of whether I arranged the courier or not.
[/quote]

No, as the recipient your only recourse is with the person who shipped. Frustrating, but I don't know of any couriers where this isn't the case.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1492179201' post='3278508']

Good luck, hope it gets resolved for all parties.

No, as the recipient your only recourse is with the person who shipped. Frustrating, but I don't know of any couriers where this isn't the case.
[/quote]

+1

I declined the offer of a very rare bass in Denmark a few years ago but put a USA collector onto it.
The bass went missing in transit too and I was asked a lot of awkward questions.Thankfully the USA collector got his money back though like the OP he would have much preferred owning the bass.
Now I keep my nose out of doing favours that cost a lot.

Keep badgering the sender.
Keep the Painpal thing open.
I had one go missing in Spain for 3.5 weeks. It eventually turned up with the buyer (who had the patience of a saint).

THAT is why, if I sell any gear to Europe, I insist on the buyer booking/paying courier.
It's cost me a few sales over the years but I can live with that.

I have everything crossed for you Mr. Alembic, good luck.

That's why i'd rather pick up myself even if it means a long drive or meet half way if poss.
Obviously coming from abroad its not practical.

I'm still waiting to see where the bass is actually hung up.
Does the tracking show it as being picked up at all.
If not then i would be very suspect that there is no bass to begin with no matter how nice the sender says he is.
Modern tracking is usually pretty good as every change of location or vehicle is scanned and recorded.

Dave

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1492245979' post='3278900']

Recourse is different and wasn't the point I was making. There is nothing stopping you asking where your shipment is. I've done it before with a bass that went into hibernation somewhere en route from mainland Europe with positive results.
[/quote]
That's great to hear, but I've had the misfortune on several occasions where this wasn't the case.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1492201726' post='3278715']
Jeez, that's the fear, isn't it?! Whether buying or selling, the gaping​ space between sending and receiving is a worry- almost more so when sending, for me!

Regardless, all the best for a safe delivery, and surely if worse comes to worst, you have the tracking number and last port of call to use in a dispute.

All the best to you! :)
[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1492198401' post='3278697']
Keep badgering the sender.
Keep the Painpal thing open.
I had one go missing in Spain for 3.5 weeks. It eventually turned up with the buyer (who had the patience of a saint).

THAT is why, if I sell any gear to Europe, I insist on the buyer booking/paying courier.
It's cost me a few sales over the years but I can live with that.

I have everything crossed for you Mr. Alembic, good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks

By some strange change in fortunes, the bass has made it to the 🇬🇧..now just waiting for parcelforce to process and post to me. The bass was posted on 27th March in
France...it's taken 3 weeks so far!!!...just to get from France??...I think that's s**t...and it still isn't in my hands..I hope after all this it's not been harmed.

It's not uncommon for parcels to skip a few readings. I bought a piece of gear from BC a few years ago (can't remember what was now) traveling from UK to PT. After the first two or three scans it gone out of the map, calls to the shipping company turned out empty as thay didn't had any shipping info also. After a couple of weeks the package was delivered to me, turned out the seller printed the shipping label on the wrong side of a sheet of photograph paper and the bar code got blured. That delayed the delivery as the package wasn't read by the scanners and it explains why it got no tracking info.

Hope you get a nice present for your B-day, good luck ;)