Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

I get what you mean, although I still watch it as there's really isn't another music show around. I tend to record and fast forward at my leisure. I miss "the tube" that was such a great show. I did really enjoy Courtney Marie Andrews. Her new album is wonderful if that's your thing.

Watched the first songs before I switched off. The only performance I enjoyed was Anderson Paak & the Free Nationals, and that was before he started playing the drums! One to watch methinks.

Goldfrapp were OK, Kasabian were obviously rerouted on their way to The Mighty Boosh stage show. Didn't think much of Thundercat, they were all seriously good musicians, but the song wasn't really "stand out" enough, and the synth bass sound was... interesting.

In my opinion of course. Other opinions will be along in a moment.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1492114964' post='3278141']
I liked Thundercat. Didn't see Goldfrapp. Will wait for the full episode.

What I think is missing from Later... is rock. There used to be way more good rock bands on there when i was young. And I think in general on TV.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Rock is massive in both the mainstream and the undercurrent yet Later... continually chooses to ignore it. I think Metallica were on once, but where are the others? Where are the new rock bands like Bring Me The Horizon? Maybe they've been on and I've missed them.

Anyway, this weeks show: Goldfrapp - did not a lot for me. Thundercat - I want to like it what with him being a high profile bassist but again it just does nothing for me. Kasabian - can't stand them despite my band mates continually trying to shoehorn their dirges into our set. I lost interest after that. Yawn.

Why does the BBC not keep its promise of delivering 5.1 surround? I only ever get the pro-logic logo on my receiver, never Dolby D or DTS. My understanding from the BBC's own HD TV promo was that they took great lengths to record in surround format. Pro-logic M sounds like surround but it isn't actually 6 channels... or is it?

Curious.

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1492114146' post='3278129']
Courtney Marie Andrews and her lap steel guitarist were really good. The rest was a bit of a so so, good musicianship, but kasabian thought it was still 1995.
[/quote]

That was B.J.Cole on pedal steel. He's long been the foremost steel player in the U.K.,
having played on numerous sessions and tours. Superb player and a great guy too.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1492152685' post='3278251']
Why does the BBC not keep its promise of delivering 5.1 surround? I only ever get the pro-logic logo on my receiver, never Dolby D or DTS. My understanding from the BBC's own HD TV promo was that they took great lengths to record in surround format. Pro-logic M sounds like surround but it isn't actually 6 channels... or is it?

Curious.
[/quote]
"You don't do heavy metal in Dobly."

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1492153794' post='3278264']
If you hear his band playing it makes you wonder if he ever 'got' rock. It doesn't swing either.
[/quote]

Don't dis the Boogie Woogie Man man. Heeheehee.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I really enjoyed Anderson.Paak & the Free Nationals, and Thundercat was good too. Goldfrapp was ok, but I had to try to ignore the dancers. Courtney Marie Andrews was ok and Kasabian were, errm, Kasabian.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1492153794' post='3278264'] If you hear his band playing it makes you wonder if he ever 'got' rock. It doesn't swing either. [/quote]
If you'd ever seen Jools' big band live, you would know that they can swing like blazes. They are sh*t hot, whatever you might think of their leader.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1492197557' post='3278687']
If you'd ever seen Jools' big band live, you would know that they can swing like blazes. They are sh*t hot, whatever you might think of their leader.
[/quote]

Seen them twice, each time completely underwhelmed. There are bands with a third of the musicians that are three times effective. So I suppose JH is to be applauded for keeping so many musicians in gainful employment, and I hear he looks after them well. But it's a great clunking juggernaut with a plodding rhythm section. What's to like?

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1492240256' post='3278829']
Seen them twice, each time completely underwhelmed. There are bands with a third of the musicians that are three times effective. So I suppose JH is to be applauded for keeping so many musicians in gainful employment, and I hear he looks after them well. But it's a great clunking juggernaut with a plodding rhythm section. What's to like?
[/quote]

He used to smoke cigars too remember...?

Heeheehee. I always liked Jools for his part in The Tube during the early years of Channel 4. He had to deal with all sorts of eighties madness on live telly and it was little wonder that he got slapped for swearing.

Didn't realise a new series had started, no great loss as I have totally lost interest in it.
From the look of last nights line up and comments on here, it was not for me anyway.
I now watch the Friday Night Rock Show on Freeview channel 82, great little show with a couple of live bands every week.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1492249322' post='3278936']
Bring back The Old Grey Whistle Test.

End of story.
[/quote]Loved Whistle Test. A great show, although sometimes it wasn't to my taste. However, the presenters didn't feel the need to play along with the artists or for there to be a pseudo party vibe.