Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1496178721' post='3309427']
OK so what pedals is that front man for Royal Blood using with his bass to make THAT sound...wtf?

Not often am i amazed at the noises made by a bass player but that was off the wall!
[/quote]Where have you been?

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1496180188' post='3309441']
Stuck in the 80s me....so what was he using?
[/quote]Don't ask me - I'm stuck in the 60's :D but a search should show up quite a bit about the fx used.

Edit; Here's a bit! http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223363-royal-blood/page__st__150__p__3291105__hl__royal%20blood%20pedals__fromsearch__1#entry3291105

Edited by KiOgon

A combination of POG2s, harmonist, distortion, fuzz and a separate clean line, sent to different amps. I did see (on Cog effects website I think) that they've done a custom pedal. You know you've made it when...
Oh and humbuckers.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1496181266' post='3309448']
....and I can't remember the last time I gawped open mouthed at someone playing bass on telly....
[/quote]You definitely haven't seen me playing bass on telly then :lol: :D :rolleyes:

The Trombone Shorty band were a country mile ahead of the rest though Royal Blood weren't bad but I still don't get the hype. Likewisethe meejah's love for The xx is befuddling. They were mind numblingly dull and did the bloke on bass actually do much on it apart from a series of root 8ths? Haim's song was repetitive pants and bassface wasn't in full gurning mode either, which was disappointing. The country singer was just another anonymous guitar strummer you hear on Bob Harris's R2 show all the time

100% agree with Meddle's description of The XX. Now, these sorts of drippy late-to-the-party post punk bands are ten a penny but they've come in for an inordinate amount of praise from the media and fans alike. Why? The band members are grey, uncharismatic and ornery looking. The songs are all pretty much downtempo but dark and the use the same formula of flat male, thin female vocals on every track. Critics describe the music as spare or minimalist. More like barely competant. The woman on guitar uses the Edge's approach of very simple single note riffs fed through reverb / flange. The frontman makes Adam Clayton's playing look like Vic Wootten's. OK I'm not saying he should play slap 16ths all over the shop but surely he could've come up with better lines

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1496253838' post='3309999']

I sort of disagree about Trombone Shorty being the highlight. Apart from the bassist riding along on the B string it sounded like something from the '60s or '70s. Actually the bassist was pretty lousy and messy, if full of energy.
[/quote]

Blimey I've just watched this. Don't recognise your description at all.

The bass player was pretty tight from what I could see/hear - indeed some nice focussed playing on a Steinberger. I may be biased as I have a liking for the R and B side of things but i found it quite refreshing compared with the monotonous inaudible cobblers played on the same bass type you often find in this show.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1495978319' post='3307870']

I didn't know he played on that!

Met Jayne/Wayne County a few years back. I was in a band with a trans guitarist/vocalist at the time, Jayne seemed to feel a bit threatened, which was a shame.
[/quote].

Me neither! Was genuinely surprised. I don't know much about Jayne/ Wayne but I used to love that track. Reminds me of my student days. :-)

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1496305119' post='3310288']
100% agree with Meddle's description of The XX. Now, these sorts of drippy late-to-the-party post punk bands are ten a penny but they've come in for an inordinate amount of praise from the media and fans alike. Why? The band members are grey, uncharismatic and ornery looking. The songs are all pretty much downtempo but dark and the use the same formula of flat male, thin female vocals on every track. Critics describe the music as spare or minimalist. More like barely competant. The woman on guitar uses the Edge's approach of very simple single note riffs fed through reverb / flange. The frontman makes Adam Clayton's playing look like Vic Wootten's. OK I'm not saying he should play slap 16ths all over the shop but surely he could've come up with better lines
[/quote]

The way the guitarist and bass player were prancing about just makes me laugh, maybe they think it will deter people from noticing their very limited ability of playing their instruments.

Edited by steantval

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched the one with Robert Plant & St Vincent the other day... pretty much a waste of time, though Ole Bob was the best thing on the show. However, "Mercury Prize" nominee Nick Mulvey was possibly the dullest thing I've heard in a long time (though I do have to say that the bass player was laying down some really cool lines, but unfortunately, even that valiant effort was completely wasted on the utterly dull songs that the band played).

Thank goodness for iPlayer.

Jools was on the news this morning announcing a collaboration and tour with[size=4] José Feliciano. He was saying that they hit it off after Jose appeared on [i]Later.[/i][/size] The small bit of playing that I heard was dominated by piano. I don't think I'll be pursuing that one despite Jose's excellent reputation.

[size=4]https://www.list.co.uk/article/95670-jools-holland-teams-up-with-jose-feliciano-for-new-lp/[/size]