Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1508408790' post='3391964']
Jools was on the news this morning announcing a collaboration and tour with José Feliciano. He was saying that they hit it off after Jose appeared on [i]Later.[/i] The small bit of playing that I heard was dominated by piano. I don't think I'll be pursuing that one despite Jose's excellent reputation.

[url="https://www.list.co.uk/article/95670-jools-holland-teams-up-with-jose-feliciano-for-new-lp/"]https://www.list.co....ano-for-new-lp/[/url]
[/quote]

I've heard it all the way through. You're right not to pursue it any more. It's ok as background music in Mediterranean beach bars but that's about it.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1508408790' post='3391964']
Jools was on the news this morning announcing a collaboration and tour with José Feliciano. He was saying that they hit it off after Jose appeared on [i]Later.[/i] The small bit of playing that I heard was dominated by piano. I don't think I'll be pursuing that one despite Jose's excellent reputation.

[url="https://www.list.co.uk/article/95670-jools-holland-teams-up-with-jose-feliciano-for-new-lp/"]https://www.list.co....ano-for-new-lp/[/url]
[/quote]good God, that's the stuff of nightmares, listening to that would worse than being water boarded

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1508412569' post='3391993']
Thought that Jessie Ware was her usual outstanding self last week.....

[url="https://youtu.be/b3kTN4Sde1w"]https://youtu.be/b3kTN4Sde1w[/url]
[/quote]

... and no bass player in sight, eh..? The future of bassists is secure..? Hmm... :unsure:
(Very nice, polished performance; great arrangement. Good Stuff...)

Actualy watched most of the half hour version of No.4 all the way through, I was more surprised at that than anything else. Wolf Alice were pretty good, Grizzly Bear were shoe gazingly indie, but it was nice to see a Ric being played, Paul Heaton was good & Sza (?) was good (though the bass player wasn't present on stage the song had a great bass line).

I'll occasionally look to see who's on and if anyone interesting i'll record it so i can jump oast all the other crap.
The show is usually a waste of TV space. Jools has lost the plot with some of the material he puts on the show.

There are far more well known and popular genres of music out there that don't get TV time.
Why not put on some modern rock or Prog bands for a change. Doesn't need to be every band just an occasional one.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1508655489' post='3393512']
How very [i]seventies[/i] of you was it using that adjective? Were you wearing tartan turn-ups as you typed it?
[/quote]

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1508636468' post='3393498']
Cos they don't pass the BBC's [b]'hipster'[/b] test.
[/quote]

Updated for 2017 for ya. ;)

Haven't seen a single edition of this series, thrown by the fact it's not on a Friday night any more.

Would appear I've succeeded in missing precisely sod-all.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1508673308' post='3393651']
It's a rubbish programme because they don't have bands that [u]I[/u] like. ;) ;)

[size=2]Where's that sarcasm smiley when you need it?[/size]
[/quote]

Said it in one , mate. If you don't like it don't watch it. It seems people only comment on things they don't like rather then commenting on something they do like. If you don't rate a certain act then fair enough,Its subjective, but to slate a whole program because you don't like the music? JH does not play my genre of music himself but he is a good musician and he is fronting a show that puts on a diverse selection of music. Stop whining or watch old re runs of TOTP.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1508692890' post='3393848']
Updated for 2017 for ya. ;)

Haven't seen a single edition of this series, thrown by the fact it's not on a Friday night any more.

Would appear I've succeeded in missing precisely sod-all.
[/quote]Cheers bud, you saved the day there. And they were jeans converted to west coast flares with a paisley V to make them bell bottoms.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1508701812' post='3393927']
Said it in one , mate. If you don't like it don't watch it. It seems people only comment on things they don't like rather then commenting on something they do like. If you don't rate a certain act then fair enough,Its subjective, but to slate a whole program because you don't like the music? JH does not play my genre of music himself but he is a good musician and he is fronting a show that puts on a diverse selection of music. Stop whining or watch old re runs of TOTP.
[/quote]

No one's 'whining' . I used to watch it quite regularly and still occasionally check to see what's playing just in case there's owt of interest. Be nice to see a more diverse range of music on offer rather than the usual fare of UK indie, Americana and septegenarian 'legends'.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1508751853' post='3394106']
No one's 'whining' . I used to watch it quite regularly [b]and still occasionally check to see what's playing just in case there's owt of interest.[/b] Be nice to see a more diverse range of music on offer rather than the usual fare of UK indie, Americana and septegenarian 'legends'.
[/quote]

The thing is, if you have never heard of an act before how do you know they may not be your next favorite thing, unless you give them a listen?

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1508707436' post='3393970']
Cheers bud, you saved the day there. And they were jeans converted to west coast flares with a paisley V to make them bell bottoms.
[/quote]

You're quite sure there wasn't a tartan cuff on those I suppose? Still, flares flapping wildly over enormous plastic platform shoes would cause a similar effect amongst onlookers.

Heeheehee. I never tried flares.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1508636468' post='3393498']
Cos they don't pass the BBC's 'trendy' test.
[/quote]

Im surprised most of those acts on Jools get on. I understand creativity can be a diverse thing, but some of that crap just baffles me.
I watch it because i know my musical tastes are quite narrow, so id like to hear what else is out there and hopefully appreciate music more, but when i hear girls screaming or blokes wailing over a repetitive backing track (and god forbid its got boogie woogie piano over it) it makes me wonder if its safer to not try and join the trendy and pretentious brigade.

Jools: Youre not old youre just back-dated. Says it all really. Old farts should not be presenting something represented by the Beeb as cutting edge - especially when it isnt.
Reminds me of how clueless the presenters on things like six five special were in my teen years.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1508752941' post='3394114']
The thing is, if you have never heard of an act before how do you know they may not be your next favorite thing, unless you give them a listen?
[/quote]

I always go on iPlayer and give everything 30-60 seconds. That's enough to tell me if I want to persist. There are just several genres I won't touch with several bargepoles attached to end and unfortunately for me they're very popular with the producers of Later

Edited by Barking Spiders

I watched the first 4 episodes in a about 30 minutes last night made me thoroughly depressed, either I'm too old to appropriate new music or new music is crap, either way it's not good, were those new songs from Morrissey and Liam Gallagher really that bad or was it just me?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1508839303' post='3394712']
I watched the first 4 episodes in a about 30 minutes last night made me thoroughly depressed, either I'm too old to appropriate new music or new music is crap, either way it's not good,[b] were those new songs from Morrissey and Liam Gallagher really that bad or was it just me?[/b]
[/quote]

No, they were that bad. How Liam gets air time and promotion via the BBC beats me. He has been on everything lately. If he had an ounce of talent I could understand but he has nothing to offer, other than being famous for being in his brothers band.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1508851188' post='3394848']
No, they were that bad. How Liam gets air time and promotion via the BBC beats me. He has been on everything lately. If he had an ounce of talent I could understand but he has nothing to offer, other than being famous for being in his brothers band.
[/quote]

First saw his first effort on Later then he appeared again on Graham Norton. The nose he and his band was was derivative and nondescript. The man's 46 and still a kn*b who gets a rise out of winding people up.. Plus he just cannot sing. Sure, neither can many others but in most cases at least their voices have some character or they can write songs and or play an instrument well. Like his Manc compatriots Ian Brown and Morrissey he's managed to carve out a career of sorts from having been in a successful band where others had the talent.

Edited by Barking Spiders