Why become a member? ×

Headphone jack

Triumphman

The 3.5mm jack plug will have a cable clamp to hold it safe and make sure no strain on the soldered connection. Just means you will see a small gap where cable enters plug or as someone said use heat shrink or tape to pack it out. Personally i just solder the joints and then clamp the cable sheath as required.
Dave

[quote name='Triumphman' timestamp='1492179096' post='3278506']
Even with flat cable?
[/quote]

The clamp will fold over to hold flat cable. By flat cable i'm assuming you mean 2 cores like the low voltage type (see attached image) or do you mean speaker cable style.

[attachment=243093:cable.jpg]

If so the clamp will still shut tight on the outer sheath with use of long nose pliers if available or standard pliers.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

It is probably dual screened cable, like figure of eight but with a flat outer moulding. Only way to tell is to strip back the insulation to see what is there. Some modern cables are made from quite tough material. Are there plugs on the headphone end? It looks like the cable on my cheapo Sennheisers are replaceable, stereo 3.5 jack one end and two mono 3.5 jacks on the headphone end that plug in. Having said that I don't know how to get spares.

Neutrik make a right angle 3.5mm plug that might work, it's got a cable clamp designed for the figure 8 flat cable and clamps quite tightly, it should be able to clamp a fairly flat cable with no problems, the main issue is going to be soldering the conductors inside, i've repaired a few sets of decent headphones and it's like soldering hair, i've actually stopped offering to fix them for friends as it's such a pain.

these are the plugs, they're usually about a fiver each (watch out for fakes on ebay)

http://www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/plugs-jacks/35-mm-right-angle-stereo-plug/ntp3rc

Matt