Why become a member? ×

FDeck or Micro Thumpinator?

Maude

I play doublebass in one band and bass guitar in another so I want a HPF that will be good for both.
With doublebass I use a PJB Suitcase and 4b cab for monitoring and FOH, with it DI'd through the PA to help boost it when needed, only because the PJB sounds better than just the PA.
With bass guitar I just go from pedal board straight to PA with a floor monitor.
The reason for wanting a HPF is that my poor little PJB cones are leaping all over the place with both gains at half, eq is pretty flat just boosting the top end slightly. At outdoor gigs we've tripped the PA amp a couple of times with, I believe, the low end of the DB and Cajon.
I should add that these are our PA's in case anyone thought we were tripping house PA's.
We don't want to really change our sound as the bottom end interaction with the Cajon and bass really works for what we do.
I assume that either of the HPF's will just help get rid of the subsonics that are driving my PJB and the PA too hard.
I don't really need it on BG but assume if I have one and it cleans up my sound then why not use it.
So what do the collective think of the pro's and con's of each.

Edited by Maude

I play upright and electric in quite a loud band. I've not tried either the Fdeck or Thumpinator, but I just started using the hpf in the Zoom MS-60B ("Ac Bs Pre"), and it seems to tighten up the low end. So perhaps that's another option. One advantage of it being digital is that you can have it remember different presets for your different instruments/bands.

Thank for the reply. I've been a bit thick, I use a Variax BG into a Line6 pedal, the two a linked by a data cable which provides power and comms to the BG, the pedal then goes straight to desk so nowhere for a conventional pedal in that chain. So as it'll be just for the DB it'll be an FDeck.

• 3 months later...

I play five string active basses and a KK Baby Bass. I added a Micro Thumpinator a few months back and it has been a revelation for both the BG's and the upright. In fact, I was paid a huge compliment by the professional sound crew at a large bike rally we played just last week. The FOH loved the sound of my bass DI so much he came up to the stage to see what I was using :)

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1502960822' post='3354627']

Hi, this chap builds the FDeck clone.

http://4114customeffects.co.uk/
[/quote]

Thanks for the info TPJ do you know how much they cost and is he still building?
I was looking for this on Facebook and there isn't much activity on his page.

[quote name='Yardicus' timestamp='1502977150' post='3354816']
Thanks for the info TPJ do you know how much they cost and is he still building?
I was looking for this on Facebook and there isn't much activity on his page.
[/quote]

Mine was only made a couple of months ago and was £90.

• 4 weeks later...

I've discovered there'll soon be a new DIY option available for HPF... and LPF for that matter! Julian Pöhler, the guy behind the Guma Drive and Guma Antique kits (clones of those famous pedals made in Finland!), is bringing out an HPF/LPF pedal kit with DI called "Vong" in the next few months. If his prototype is anything to go by (and it usually is with Julian!) it'll be 125B sized and have controls for HPF freq, LPF freq, volume and switches to enable disable each of the filters. Ground lift for the DI of course. No footswitch. I've already expressed an interest in one and he's to let me know when they're generally available. He usually sells direct and through Musikding.de.

I've had discussions with Dood on the DIY pedal thread about building one of these for myself, but if someone is doing a nice, tidy kit (and I've yet to find tidier than Julian's work) with the same function, I'll just build that instead!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Yardicus' timestamp='1505250468' post='3370577']
Did you get make an order TPJ, I've emailed and messaged but had no response.

Luckily a local (to me) pedal builder has made me one
[/quote]

I bought one used off the forum so didn't need to make an order.