Why become a member? ×

FDeck or Micro Thumpinator?

Maude

Yup - same (see below):

---
My fault entirely, ordered the wrong potentiometers for the HPF, spent ages debugging until I realised my mistake ... correct ones are arriving today so should be posted out today/tomorrow for you/

Sorry for the wait, thanks for your patience!

---

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Lazurus' timestamp='1498214367' post='3323154']
Any one tried theirs yet, I would like some starter settings to get me going????
[/quote]

You probably just want to play around with it until you find what works best for you.

When I use it, the vol is usually max and the HPF gets rolled back until the sound tightens and then I sometimes roll it up again a little from there.

Yep, used it for a couple of rehearsals and a couple of gigs.
I did away with the volume control as I've got one of them on my amp already, the HPF control seems to work backwards in that fully clockwise seems to be the least affected, and I leave it there, fullest sound and my speakers have stopped leaping around. If I turn the HPF control fully anti-clockwise the sound is very thin so I assume that's the most affected.
It has really cleaned up the subsonic rumbles and made the whole band sound clearer although it seems to add almost a compressed sound to my bass, like a very sharp attack to the front of a note but that could be the sound of my playing but was disguised by all the low frequencies that are now gone.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1498547786' post='3325331']
Yep, used it for a couple of rehearsals and a couple of gigs.
I did away with the volume control as I've got one of them on my amp already, the HPF control seems to work backwards in that fully clockwise seems to be the least affected, and I leave it there, fullest sound and my speakers have stopped leaping around. If I turn the HPF control fully anti-clockwise the sound is very thin so I assume that's the most affected.
It has really cleaned up the subsonic rumbles and made the whole band sound clearer although it seems to add almost a compressed sound to my bass, like a very sharp attack to the front of a note but that could be the sound of my playing but was disguised by all the low frequencies that are now gone.
[/quote]
The control pot fitted to the FDeck is logarithmic to give an even sweep of frequencies as you turn the control - it's cheap because lots of circuits use them, but in this design it works backwards so fully to the right is 30Hz cut-off and fully to the left is 140 Hz cut-off. A reversed logarithmic pot would give you 30 Hz to the left and 140Hz to the right but cost you a lot more money.

In addition to cutting out the subsonics,you can also use it to make your sound more punchy - as you increase the frequency, you will hear the bass becoming clearer, before you reach the point where it becomes too thin. Also, if you are on a hollow stage, increasing the frequency of the cut-off can remove a lot of the boominess. It's a lot more versatile than a 'set and forget' device.

Finally, the 'compressed sound' that you are hearing is more likely to be soft clipping. One of the design feature of the HF-Pre is that if you overload the front end, it does not sound ragged like an overloaded transistor preamp. You could check this out by playing quieter to see if the sound changes, and if so, then consider whether you can get a reduced output from your instrument.

David