Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Ear Box

Sean

Has anyone tried or gigged one of these?
http://philjonesbass.com/product/ear-box/

I use massive rigs and am always struggling to hear my sound mainly because I'm standing. Ext to it in a tiny venue or small stage.
Is this a solution?
Any input much appreciated.
Gimmick or life-changing must-have cure-all elixir.

I think it looks like a useful piece of kit in certain situations, though when I was offered a demo, the kit it was plugged in to seemed to have a problem thus I didn't get to hear what it was trying to fix.

On the subject of fixing, you do have some nice kit behind you - I suspect you will be asked how you can't hear yourself! The Big Twin is a monstrous cabinet, so I don't think it's lack of volume that is causing a problem. The Earbox, although appearing like an appealing solution, I suspect you may be able to fix your problems without spending any more money and that will be through simply lifting your gear up that you have already and get it closer to your ear. I often angle my cabinet upward on stage (especially if it is a small space) and will never need to run anymore than my small amp I have. Depending on how you EQ too, lose some of your low end subs and boost the mid range too if you don't already. Maybe add a bit of bite at around 4Khz for pick attack. A simple trick is to turn the bass control down a bit but turn up the overall amp volume the same amount. I hope that helps!

i got one up for sale at the moment, you're welcome to come over to Swindon to try it.....probably let it go for a ton if you collected. I found it useful when I was playing fretless in a loud band....

Edit: Yes I have paid the marketplace subscription!!

Edited by andyonbass