Why become a member? ×

Keeley 30ms Automatic Double Tracker

GisserD

Just pulled the trigger on one of these after one came up CHEAP on eBay. Sounds great on guitar but there are no bass demos available online.

https://youtu.be/OIzylCWOG58

I'm hoping it will fill my chorus and reverb needs. Planning to use it with my fretless mostly :)

Anybody got any experience with one or something similar?

https://youtu.be/ClV0uM9aC5I

I had one, cool pedal with a few nice chorus effects. For recording I prefer actual double tracking and live it made my tone a little too "weird" so sold it. TC has a similar pedal, believe they call it Doubler.

so i took delivery of it a few days ago and my initial testing has revealed mixed results...

Firstly in mono, it sounds great when playing in the upper ranges of the bass, say for solo work, but as soon as i play below a D the effect becomes very unnoticeable, and dosent really add anything good to the tone. increasing the time and tuning goes some way to solving this, but its not ideal.

when run in stereo this thing comes alive through headphones. wow, seriously wide!!!! makes anything you put into it sound huge and lush. so great studio tool, but not really for the average bass-pedal board me thinks.

All that said, i played some mono guitar, and keyboards through it and it simply sounds fantastic! so its a keeper, but not for the reasons i baught it for.

The reverb is usable on solo work, but im not really into reverb for my band sound so haven't really experimented much with it yet

Edited by GisserD

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely pedal that thickens up your tone in a nice way. Perhaps not best suited for bass but can be set to a lush chorus effect. If you don't have a use for the reverb, you can disable it and thus get more control over the modulation of the sound. This is done via the dip switches on the inside. I have the Keeley Abbey Chamber Verb so I disabled the reverb on the 30ms. This enables separate rate and depth controls in the Abbey mode which I use most.

I have the keeley super mod, which features what I suppose is a scaled down version of the chorusy bit.

I use it just about exclusively for guitar, but it's very effective for approaching widely mixed sounds in a live (i.e. mono, single amp) setting. It's also surprisingly useful as a short but wide chorus. Matter of fact, I've found I often prefer it over the pedal's regular chorus. Quality sounds in those Keeley boxes!