Why become a member? ×

Barefaced truth

lownote

There's no doubt, Claber's cabs rock. To squeeze full watts from my throttled 210 - it's only got 12 ohm I gods - I keep trying it coupled with various other cabs - Ashdown, Vandekley - but nothing is so lovely as yer actual basic Barefaced noise. If I can persuade Alex to swap my gubbins for 4 ohms then I can use it standalone. And live happily ever after.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1492333682' post='3279414']
I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try their cabs.
[/quote]
It's easy. Order one. You have a 30 day trial period and if you don't like it, send it back for a refund! Might cost you a few bob in carriage but otherwise not a problem.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1492334491' post='3279422']
You can get the TWO10!with a 4ohm/12ohm switch. I had the first one.
[/quote]

With a switch? That's such a good idea. Why was this not mentioned to me... or this a long ago thing?

Do not do the DIY conversion. Your hair will drop out and your wife will leave you. I am hoping to pay Alex to do it.

Edited by lownote12

Recently started gigging my Super Twin again, after 8 months of neglect because I was in love with the sound of a combo I bought. The combo is a bit heavy though, so last couple of gigs I've taken the Barefaced and an Ashdown head, bass heaven!

I'm now rockin a Markbass head, Barefaced Retro Twin + Ashdown ABM500 15 incher to get my full watts allowance. Like I said at the start this isn't a match totally made in heaven. But I'm on at the Dereham Blues Fest in July and have been warned I need mega trouser flapping capability. And playing blues with flats, oomph is probably more important than tonal niceties and delicate harmonics.

I have been told upping my wattage from around 300 - 500 won't really make that much difference. But I'm not yet totally sure about that. With just my BF cab on the head, full throttle is noisy but not too huge and I would worry about it being lost in a big hall with drums and heavy guitar. Hook the Ashdown into the mix and anything over 2 o'clock on the gain knob is getting unpleasant. So I think it does make a difference.

Edited by lownote12

I would imagine Alex is too busy. . . . . to take on custom work and at a price that you would be happy paying. If Alex is that busy then I'm very happy. Small UK companies using US imported components could easily be facing serious difficulties in the Brexit cock-up world we currently inhabit. If you really have to upgrade to 4 ohms then the kit, apparently, is pretty straightforward to install yourself.

IMO it be more effective to buy another cab. Two 12 ohm cabs will look like 6 ohms to your amp. A difference in watts you'll not notice and an improvement in SPL (air moved) that will be significant.

If the Dereham Blues Fest is a [i]serious[/i] musical event they should be putting the bass, and the rest of the instruments, through the FOH. If they aren't I'd start complaining now, so you can get this problem fixed by July.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1492762719' post='3282925']
I asked Barefaced to quote for the work. Reply was 'we're too busy to deal with this'. Make of that what you will.
[/quote]

I was looking for the option on the website and couldn't find it, I guess it's "custom work" territory which they may not deal with often (or cheaply)...

When I ordered my single Two10 I could not decide which version. I could see myself wanting a second in the future *if* it really worked for me... in that case 12ohm versions seemed like the best way to go. In the end I went for 4 ohm.

The reasoning was that most times I would really just use one (used as a stage monitor, 75%... small bars unsupported 10%) and in those cases it'll be nice to have the full power of my amp available (Markbass LMIII).
Now, about the remaining 15% (stupid percentages, but you get the idea)... I have been doing ok with a pair of TKS S112 but they sometimes needed a little extra. So a couple of Two10 would be ideal. I figured that I could combine both in series to give me an 8ohm solution which will sound a bit bigger than a single one, despite the increase in impedance. But what convinced me was that I could simply add a second amplifier. I always had a backup amp, it just wasn't an LMIII, but they're not expensive in the second hand market and appear regularly... so worse case scenario I just carry two heads. They're light and small... so no trouble, and I like the "built-in" backup notion of this solution, as should one of them fail, I can just use a single one (the series/parallel box lives in my gigbag) and carry on.

I'm not saying it's the best idea for everyone, but it's certainly an idea that works for me. Maybe it works for you too? Just something to think about.

Super Twin. Light and manageable enough to take to any gig so I don't need a 'modular' rig any more, enough oooomph to intimidate JCM100/412 guitards, drown any drummer and demolish walls if necessary. Sounds fantastic with either Walkabout or Magellan. I'm done. :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1492774240' post='3283094']
I'd have a look at the website. Alex covers a lot of ground there.
[/quote]

Good point, sorry for my laziness!

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/retro-two10.htm

Edited by DangerDan