Why become a member? ×

Hearing problems

Billleivers

Very interesting thread.My problems stem from being too close to a PA speaker when a very drunk and overenthusiastic blues harp player blew too much and my hearing suffered.I now have a weird sound in my right ear but more importantly my general hearing has gone downhill of late.I notice that a lot of you seem to suffer from poor lower frequency response.I'm the opposite.Its as if someone has turned the 'treble' off.So while my hearing is not too bad,but not great,volume-wise,my treble response is dire.I often find that while watching TV,if I 'cup' my ears with my hands,it improves things.
I'm 65,and after playing in various bands since age 15 without ear protection,ever,(I was one of the 'earplugs are for wusses' brigade) it's only to be expected.If only I'd taken more care.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1508494251' post='3392539']...
I'm 65,and after playing in various bands since age 15 without ear protection,ever,(I was one of the 'earplugs are for wusses' brigade) it's only to be expected.If only I'd taken more care.
[/quote]

On the other hand, ageing is what it is, and treble loss is, unfortunately, par for the course for over 60's. Protection is, of course, a Good Thing, but don't beat yourself up for having neglected it early on. You are not alone. :blush:

64, and after playing for 50 years my hearing is a problem.

I now have to sacrifice most of my bottom because I can't hear low frequencies very well anymore, very muddy. I have to dial in a lot of treble.

Blue

Edited by blue