Why become a member? ×

Power Amp in a rack - how large?

anzoid

Hope this is the right place for this question...

I've got a Yamaha P2500S PA power amp that needs to go into a rack. It's a 2U high amp - should I put it in a 3U case with a ventilation panel, or can I get away with a 2U case? Amp gets used for about 2 hours a week and never gets driven hard, usually at about half power with only a guitar and/or piano and vocals going through it.

Bonus question: recommendations for an appropriate case and mounting kit welcome. Would like to bring the whole lot in well under £100 if possible but want something reasonably solid (Gator?).

It's front to back ventilated so 2u will be fine..

I prefer proper flight cases - swan fightcases will make you a nice one for under £100..

Alternatively secondhand ones come up regularly..

The p2500s comes with rack ears so all you need is bolts and cage nuts..

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1492363100' post='3279698']
Leaving gaps above and below is actually bad news. You can get circular hot air flow coming from the back back into the front...
[/quote]

Thanks for that EBS Freak - didn't realise you could actually make things worse for yourself!

Would that be the same if I put the amp in a large rack - say 12u tall with a racked mixing desk on top - something like this, which is an alternative option as we have a Yamaha MG166c to accommodate as well (pain the in the butt size for a mixing desk as it's 12u and there aren't many options for 12u desks... it's mostly 10u stuff...): http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/manufacturer/product.asp?item=spider-12u-x-12u-mixer-rack-on-castors-4870-6631
Would I end up having to blank off the rest of the rack?

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1492365421' post='3279712']
Thanks for that EBS Freak - didn't realise you could actually make things worse for yourself!

Would that be the same if I put the amp in a large rack - say 12u tall with a racked mixing desk on top - something like this, which is an alternative option as we have a Yamaha MG166c to accommodate as well (pain the in the butt size for a mixing desk as it's 12u and there aren't many options for 12u desks... it's mostly 10u stuff...): [url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/manufacturer/product.asp?item=spider-12u-x-12u-mixer-rack-on-castors-4870-6631"]http://www.flightcas...stors-4870-6631[/url]
Would I end up having to blank off the rest of the rack?
[/quote]

I've got a purpose built 4U case with a MG16/6FX mounted on top.. Any use?

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1492360601' post='3279676']
... recommendations for an appropriate case and mounting kit welcome. Would like to bring the whole lot in well under £100 if possible but want something reasonably solid (Gator?).
[/quote]
[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1492361157' post='3279680']
I prefer proper flight cases - swan fightcases will make you a nice one for under £100..

[/quote]

If weight was not an issue then I'd agree with you! :)

Gator cases are not as solid as flightcases, but unless you tour regularly or are incredibly heavy-handed with your kit, you really don't need a flightcase.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1492371423' post='3279753']
If weight was not an issue then I'd agree with you! :)

Gator cases are not as solid as flightcases, but unless you tour regularly or are incredibly heavy-handed with your kit, you really don't need a flightcase.
[/quote]

The lighter duty (7mm board/aluminium) ones are not too bad.. The 2U one for my Thunderfunk only weighs a couple of kilos..

May I recommend the [url="http://www.proel.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_8_42_164_538"]Proel ones[/url]? The Force ones which are a cool blue/grey twill finish. I have a 3U for my bass rig and we liked it so much we got another for our new mixer.