Why become a member? ×

Allan Holdsworth

steve-bbb

Probably the most perfect guitar solo ever laid down in a studio....

[url="http://youtu.be/SU_sdOxvBvk?t=2m34s"]http://youtu.be/SU_sdOxvBvk?t=2m34s[/url]

[i]“one of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet.” (Frank Zappa 1987)[/i]

Edited by steve-bbb

Such sad news. He gave Prog music a whole new dimension with his wonderful guitar work.
First heard him on UK album In The Dead Of Night.
Was blown away by the musicianship of all involved on that album.
Then again on Bruford album One Of A Kind with Jeff Berlin on bass.

What an inspiration to so many guitarists.

Dave

Tragic! He was my harmony-super hero! So sad. This and Chris Squire. Loved his records. Couldn't get into them for a while but when you did... nothing else came close. Non Brewed Condiment a classic, But Sand's Pud Wud probably the best guitar solo ever!?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1492372589' post='3279772']
First heard him on Bruford's Feels Good to Me.
[/quote]

Same here.

A true innovator, he inspired many imitators but nobody came close.

He invented & patented a beer pump too apparently.

Check out solo album Velvet Darkness and Gong album Gazeuse ! These feature brilliant work by Allan

First got wind of AH from his '76 album Velvet Darkness, and loved his work. The Gong album Gazeuse ! features more stunning work

I got to see him in the early 80's at a tiny jazz club in Oxford, with 2 unknown local jazzers on DB and drums. He was famous, but didnt mind playing with these locals at all. He was a very humble man.

You could pass him in the street and not know. He looked like a chartered accountant

I'm gutted

Edited by fleabag

Ah, wtf, have a taste

Gong - Espresso from Gazeuse !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMEhD4P8PY

Floppy Hat from Velvet Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mSL0Zy2i3o&index=2&list=PLWFXsGz50Kq349oDTwYFxIZtt_PU17PdM

Gattox from Velvet Darkness ( gattox is pisstake of the word gateaux )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP04AiRv8N0&index=8&list=PLWFXsGz50Kq349oDTwYFxIZtt_PU17PdM

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1492381915' post='3279852']
Gattox from Velvet Darkness ( gattox is pisstake of the word gateaux )
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommends, I'll give him a listen tomorrow.

As an aside, I wonder if he ever met my dad. He calls our cat the Gatox, a mix of gato (Spanish for cat) and gateaux.

RIP Allan. Truly, a legend of nearly peerless talent. I always wondered how the quiet and unassuming man from Yorkshire developed the most alien, otherworldly music language. I love his music, but his sense of harmony is so wildly advanced I have often struggled to follow the musicality of it, and I'm a paid up fusion-head.

He did alright for someone who never considered his playing to be as good as he wanted it, and didn't really want to play the guitar. I'd say his voice as a guitarist is the most identifiable out there. He was a magician.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1492384770' post='3279861']
He did alright for someone who never considered his playing to be as good as he wanted it, and didn't really want to play the guitar. I'd say his voice as a guitarist is the most identifiable out there. He was a magician.
[/quote]

I guess it was in striving for that which he didn't find that he found what he did.

Judge him by the company he kept basswise - I've got:

Alphonso Johnson
Paul Carmichael
John Wetton
Jack Bruce
Ernest Tibbs
Gary Willis
Jeff Berlin
Jimmy Johnson
Skuli Sverrison
Anthony Crawford
Jimmy Haslip
Evan Marien

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1492416305' post='3279967']
Judge him by the company he kept basswise - I've got:

Alphonso Johnson
Paul Carmichael
John Wetton
Jack Bruce
Ernest Tibbs
Gary Willis
Jeff Berlin
Jimmy Johnson
Skuli Sverrison
Anthony Crawford
Jimmy Haslip
Evan Marien
[/quote]
He's also played with Level 42 (probably Gary Husband's influence there...) on 1991's Guaranteed album. Played live with them the year before at their 15 night run at the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then) which is where I first heard him.
Big loss. RIP.

I first saw him on Old Grey Whistle Test when they played a film clip with Soft Machine, which absolutely blew my mind as a young guitar player.
I've previously posted his solo from In the Dead of Night off UKs first album as a favourite. The phrasing and note choices are just sublime, and you know no one else could have come up with that.
I've chatted with him at a tiny free form jazz gig at Sussex Uni (79?), nice chap with no airs and graces.
I've asked for Hazard Profile from Soft Machine Bundles to be played at my funeral.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1492417966' post='3279990']

He's also played with Level 42 (probably Gary Husband's influence there...) on 1991's Guaranteed album. Played live with them the year before at their 15 night run at the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then) which is where I first heard him.
Big loss. RIP.
[/quote]

I always thought it was funny that he had been with Level 42 for a period. Top player. His solo on the outro of 'if you were mine' is just masterful. It has all some really 'Holdsworth' moves in it, which I loved. He really brought his musical personality wherever he went. His stuff with Berlin and Bruford was top too.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1492421482' post='3280041']
I always thought it was funny that he had been with Level 42 for a period. Top player. His solo on the outro of 'if you were mine' is just masterful. It has all some really 'Holdsworth' moves in it, which I loved. He really brought his musical personality wherever he went. His stuff with Berlin and Bruford was top too.
[/quote]

Apparently Mark King was a big fan of Holdsworth & offered him the Level 42 gig to help him out financially.