Why become a member? ×

1x cab at 4ohm *vs* 2x cabs at 8ohm - worth it?

mcnach

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1492455580' post='3280441']
There's a member here that plays some serious gigs using that setup, it's basically a 4x12 stack but with the top two as the Markbass combos and the bottom two as the matching ext speakers, he can cover anything from a little pub with a single combo right upto a symphony hall using all four,and he has done!
[/quote]

And here it is... although he has swapped the extension cabs for the Traveler cabs to get the hf horns instead of the piezos.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1492519828' post='3280872']
The fact you can get a series speaker cable has got my juices flowing! I had some 'plans' which would have meant running a two channel power amp. If I can do it with my current amp then it will save me a lot on the investment.

As for slaving the LMIII, it's worth checking how the loop is set. I think they are default in parallel, so may or may not need opening up and changing over for best results. If so, it's a jumper connection in there somewhere!
[/quote]

TRue, it's a parallel loop by default on the LMIII. Would it matter 'though if I have nothing plugged in to the front and keep the EQ the same? I don't think so but I've been wrong a few times ;)

so bass to input 1, and send 1 to return 2, that should work, right? With each head connected to one cab.

I honestly don't know! Just a point worth bearing in mind.

I tried a couple of pre-amps with mine and they seemed much louder and clearer into the front of the amp than into the effects return. It was only later that it dawned on me as a possible cause. Like I said, it may or may not need changing for the best result- I can't say either way though!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1492534883' post='3281044']
I honestly don't know! Just a point worth bearing in mind.

I tried a couple of pre-amps with mine and they seemed much louder and clearer into the front of the amp than into the effects return. It was only later that it dawned on me as a possible cause. Like I said, it may or may not need changing for the best result- I can't say either way though!
[/quote]

Hmmm, wouldn't that be because of the different level signal expected at the FX loop compared to that at the amp's input?
I don't know either! :lol: I appreciate your bringing this up, just in case!

It seems that you can link them as usual: send from amp1 into return of amp2. But the EQ still works on both amps.

[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/can-i-link-2-markbass-amps-together-to-have-the-ability-to-run-a-2-ohm-load.599093/"]https://www.talkbass.com/threads/can-i-link-2-markbass-amps-together-to-have-the-ability-to-run-a-2-ohm-load.599093/[/url]

Ah, I wrote to MarkBass and they replied saying that probably fine but the return is actually preEQ... so both EQ are functional. They actually suggested that it's best to do either:

1) bass to head 1, set DI to preEQ, and then XLR line out to front input in head 2 (line out output is adjustable). Adjust volume/EQ independently.

or

2) bass to head 1, tuner out to front input in head 2. Adjust volume/EQ independently.

With option 1, the signal level sent to head 2 is controlled by the line out control alone.
With option 2, the gain level in head 1 affects the signal sent to head 2 as well.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1492425237' post='3280088']
Doubling the number of speakers gives you (all things being equal) +3dB , halving the power gives you -3dB.. So the nett effect is 0 dB..
[/quote]

I'm sure I read that to double your volume, +10dB, you either have to double your cabbage. So adding another of the same speaker.
Or you can add 10x the power. So a 100 watt amp would need to be a 1000watt amp.

By that understanding having half the power wouldn't make it half as loud, even more so with more speakers. Or do I have it wrong?

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1492604016' post='3281548']
Ah, I wrote to MarkBass and they replied saying that probably fine but the return is actually preEQ... so both EQ are functional. They actually suggested that it's best to do either:

1) bass to head 1, set DI to preEQ, and then XLR line out to front input in head 2 (line out output is adjustable). Adjust volume/EQ independently.

or

2) bass to head 1, tuner out to front input in head 2. Adjust volume/EQ independently.

With option 1, the signal level sent to head 2 is controlled by the line out control alone.
With option 2, the gain level in head 1 affects the signal sent to head 2 as well.
[/quote]

If you were going down this route then wouldn't worry about what's best, you can try both and see which you prefer.

Personally, I've been thinking of doing something similar. I would add a signal splutter at the end of my board. One output to an input each on the heads. Then theoretically the same gain and master level setting would achieve the same loudness.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1492666878' post='3282057']
If you were going down this route then wouldn't worry about what's best, you can try both and see which you prefer.

Personally, I've been thinking of doing something similar. I would add a signal splutter at the end of my board. One output to an input each on the heads. Then theoretically the same gain and master level setting would achieve the same loudness.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was the end conclusion of the email: try any of the options and see, they're all ok. I also thought about the splitter, especially as I have a Boss LS-2 somewhere in my old pedalboard, feeling neglected, but linking the two heads seems neater unless I have the splitter sitting right by them.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1492666081' post='3282055']
I'm sure I read that to double your volume, a perceived +3dB, assuming you are are running at Max displacement of your current gear.
You either have to double your cabbage. So adding another of the same speaker.
Or you can add 10x the power. So a 100 watt amp would need to be a 1000watt amp.

By that understanding having half the power wouldn't make it half as loud, even more so with more speakers.
[/quote]

Doubling volume is +10dB... Doubling power is +3dB...

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1492718843' post='3282734']
Double the SPL which is measured in dB... ?It's logarithmic so doubling would take 90dB (loudish school disco) to 180dB which would disintegrate buildings.
[/quote]

Ok, more properly. Soubling the pressure or intensity is a 6dB rise. Adding a cab gives you an extra 3dB or 6dB in the bass frequency.

Doubling the power is a 3dB rise.

Loudness is perceived and not measured but accepted to be 10dB