Why become a member? ×

If I see a Morris dance troupe coming towards me....

Biglump

In the unlikely event of the above scenario, I would quite like to be able to throw in a few jigs, reels or dances.
Because, after all, I play bass to make people dance and sing, and these guys don't seem shy of dancing.
So what is a fairly standard, 'standard' for Morris dancing?
I could do with one or two up the sleeve that would get me by, please.

There isn't a 'standard' for Morris Dancing. Each team will have it's own variations on the traditional dances they do, and these will vary from region to region.
They would possibly not take too kindly to somebody trying to join in with them either, unless the person was invited. It's not an audience participation type of thing.

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1492426115' post='3280106']...
So what is a fairly standard, 'standard' for Morris dancing?...
[/quote]

Choose from here..?

[url="https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/morris/music/abclib.html"]Library of Morris Tunes ...[/url]

That's your week-end sorted, then, eh..? :rolleyes:

Here's one, chosen at random...

[quote][color=#000000]%abc[/color]
X:1
T:Blue Bells of Scotland
M:4/4
C:
S:Seabright
N:
A:Adderbury
O:English
R:Reel
%P:Ch.(AB)$^7$B
P:A.(AB)7B
K:G
I:speed 400
P:A
%
|: d2 | g4 f2 e2 | d4 e2 fg | B2 B2 c2 A2 | G6 :|
w: Oh where and oh where has my_ high- land lad-die gone?
w: He's gone to the war with his_ bright red knick-ers on!
P:B
dc | B2 G2 B2 d2 | g2 g2 e2 fg | f2 d2 e2 ^c2 | d4 e2 \
f2 | g2 g2 f2 e2 | d2 d2 e2 fg | B2 B2 c2 A2 | G6 ||
[/quote]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1492431199' post='3280152']
Morris dancing is one of those activities that from a cultural point of view I am glad someone keeps it alive, but with the proviso that I do not have to be involved in any way shape or form, including watching, listening or partaking.
[/quote]

I find it odd that I totally understand and agree with you :lol:

Off topic, there's a Morris side in the town in Henley in Arden.

For reasons best known to themselves they go full blackface in tophats and multicoloured jackets and waistcoats and prowl round the town every boxing day.

Scared the Bejeezus out of me the first time I bumped into them, I thought I'd walked into an episode of 'The League of Gentlemen'.

Edit:these are the bastards, in full boxing day get up.

http://silhillmorris.weebly.com/who-are-we.html

So, in conclusion if you see a Morris troupe coming towards you, run.

Edited by Cato

@Cato you will like this then.

I am black and was in a small town folk festival milling around, when I came across a group of fully blacked up Morris Dancers.
Their abject shock at seeing a 'real' black face was priceless, they did a double take, crossed the road and scuttled away quite sheepishly.

I was upset as in that area of little Britain I thought I would be the only 'coloured' in the village...... ;-)

Still makes me laugh now

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1492446347' post='3280299']

I am black and was in a small town folk festival milling around, when I came across a group of fully blacked up Morris Dancers.
Their abject shock at seeing a 'real' black face was priceless, they did a double take, crossed the road and scuttled away quite sheepishly.

I was upset as in that area of little Britain I thought I would be the only 'coloured' in the village...... ;-)

Still makes me laugh now
[/quote]

Could it have been this lot ?
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53LZI6UBvTs

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1492446347' post='3280299']

Still makes me laugh now
[/quote]

😂😂😂

Apparently the Dark Morris is danced to welcome the Wintersmith and heralds the coming of winter . The traditional summer Morris dancing is supposed to reverse the process.....According to Terry Pratchett anyway....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintersmith

As we have established, I am black and have looked into the whole contentious thing, and as far as I am concerned, it's probably a bit of both, live and let live, I don't mind keeping up traditions as it connects us to the past and helps us remember history. So long as the traditions are not actually harmful, and any particularly horrific historical times are respectfully remembered then it's OK by me.

So far as Morris dancing goes, they'll be nob 'eds, they'll be good people.
Let's all have an ale, mead or cider and enjoy it for what it is which is a crazy, camp, pagan quirky past time

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1492431199' post='3280152']
Morris dancing is one of those activities that from a cultural point of view I am glad someone keeps it alive, but with the proviso that I do not have to be involved in any way shape or form, including watching, listening or partaking.
[/quote]

I feel this way about Morris Men, but women Morris dancing I find ok.