Why become a member? ×

string hight, spacing. slightly off set

Big Uli

I have been googling online on how to set my basses up properly and come across this chap on youtube
I did everything but the nut adjustment as I don't have those files and i used my verniers rather that feelers adding the string thickness to the height adjustment.
Turned out quite well but found the set up a little to high so turned each saddle down by 1.5 turns and like that a lot better

Sting heights are
E -4/32 minus 1.5 turns
A- just less than 4/32 minus 1.5 turns
D- the same as A
C- 3/32 minus 1.5 turns
I'd have to check to determine the exact mm

However, and I never noticed this before my stings are sitting like this on the neck and across the pick ups

You can see what I meant with off set on the topic title

[attachment=243250:IMAG00721.jpg]

[attachment=243251:IMAG00731.jpg]

Anything I can do about that?
Both my basses have this now
They may have always had it but i never noticed before

You can loosen the neck (probably best to remove the strings first) and pull it upwards towards the E string. Then re-tighten the screws while holding the neck in the new position. when you put the strings back on you should see an improvement.

If this doesn't work, then you may have a slightly out of position bridge. In which case you would have to re-position it.

Of course it may not bother you. In which case just carry on as you are :)

Edited by gjones

Please excuse me if I'm wrong; but aren't most basses made with the strings slightly off-set towards the G string side?

I, perhaps neively, thought it more likely that you will bend a string by pushing up, than you will buy pulling down. So the off-set allows you to do this. I'm often wrong. So I probably am right now.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1492441178' post='3280255']
You can loosen the neck (probably best to remove the strings first) and pull it upwards towards the E string. Then re-tighten the screws while holding the neck in the new position. when you put the strings back on you should see an improvement.

If this doesn't work, then you may have a slightly out of position bridge. In which case you would have to re-position it.

Of course it may not bother you. In which case just carry on as you are :)
[/quote]
It plays ok. better than ever before especially now i did the intonation as well.
Not bothered just wondered if I did some kind of booboo

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1492442021' post='3280261']
Please excuse me if I'm wrong; but aren't most basses made with the strings slightly off-set towards the G string side?

I, perhaps neively, thought it more likely that you will bend a string by pushing up, than you will buy pulling down. So the off-set allows you to do this. I'm often wrong. So I probably am right now.
[/quote]

That does make sense and I have been bending strings a lot playing wolf moon.
Just not on the g string. If I were to bend the G and it wasn't where it is it would go of the neck

Probably worrying over nothing

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1492446353' post='3280300']
A 'not so cheap' fix would be to retro fit a bridge with lateral movement adjustment. Hipshot 3D or similar.
[/quote]

Been thinking of modding it a bit but as you say not a cheap option
They where only £250 new in the day I think

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1492448507' post='3280338']
Have a look at the E string side of the neck pocket to see if there is an uneven gap between the neck and the body where it sits in the pocket.

The typical indication that the neck is slightly out of line is that there will be a gap in the pocket that gets very slightly wider going away from the bridge. If so, loosen the strings. No need to remove them, just loose will do. Unscrew the neck bolts, presuming it's not a set neck and retighten with the gap uniform. A slight shift in the neck can represent a significant shift in the position of the nut at the other and and can make all the difference to where the strings align with the pick-ups. A typical Fender type problem.
[/quote]

Ever so slightly from 0.5 of a mil to just under a mil
I have a go and we will see