Why become a member? ×

Fretless:: Lined or Naked?

Grangur

I've got a fretless. It's got an unlined neck. The side markers are on the fret-lines. I'm happy with this.

Then I saw Scott Device and his "3 Killer points for playing fretless".

"Always start using a lined neck" says Scott. Well, Scott learned with Gary Willis. Both of them always play lined necks. So, never mind learning, neither of these guys favour a naked neck.

On the other hand, I like Tony Franklin's playing. He talks about the freedom of fretless. He favours the clear line-free neck.

I'm thinking of getting a 5 string fretless. I like the Marcus Miller (I think). It has a lined neck.

What do you guys here like? Why?
If you start with lines do you transition to a clean neck?

Thoughts... ?

I play both but given the choice I would go with lines. "[i]If lines were OK for Jaco then...[/i]" Just had to get that one in to annoy everyone. I get on OK without lines and you learn where your fingers go eventually but I do like the security of lines.

I prefer the look of the unlined board but when I play it has to be lined.
I never played enough to have a muscle memory on a level that allowed me to play clean on an unlined fretless.

(when I was a kid I played chello. Due to the taper of the neck and the hand positions it seemed a lot easier to get to the right place than on the long neck of the bass. )

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1492446104' post='3280298']
I have owned a lined fretless and still own a unlined fretless. I am equally bad on both so in the end it comes down to the aesthetics and I prefer the look of an unlined board.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I luuurve the look of an unlined board...that minimalist look...been trying to find somebody who makes black frets (for my fretted basses) to no avail.

I'm relatively new to fretless but found that it forces me to listen more carefully to what I'm playing so unlined is becoming easier - like most things the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Ibanez had this cracked over 40 years ago:

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20SOLD/Ibanez%202366%20FLB%201972%20SOLD/CIMG0142.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20SOLD/Ibanez%202366%20FLB%201972%20SOLD/CIMG0142.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is the perfect way to make the transition, IMHO.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1492444240' post='3280281']
Naked. Just because Scott can't play without lines doesn't mean you can't.
[/quote]

He can play unlined with no issues, but says he prefers lines because he is a "visual" player in that he relies less on muscle memory and visualises a lot of patterns on the board. That's fair justification I think, it's just whatever works for the individual.

He does say that he thinks new fretless players should start out with lined, just to help their eyes program their muscle memory. It's just a suggestion though, we're all free to make our own choices.

Personally I prefer unlined but have not yet owned a fretless bass, but I've played a few, never spent any real time on them yet. I will be getting one at some point and haven't decided which way I'd go. Those Ibanez lines on the side of the fretboard look great. I also like the lines where they have a tiny bit of each fret line on the board for a centimentre or so, to make it look almost unlined but still having a visual reference on board. If Alain Caron likes a little pointer here and there then I wouldn't feel to ashamed to have them either! ;)

My rule.

In the studio, lined, because it wastes everyone's time if I have to re-record poorly intoned parts.

On stage, unlined because I've never been able to see the lines anyway, I'm not tempted to look down (my attention is anyway usually elsewhere trying to avoid being hit in the face by the guitarist's headstock or walking off stage etc), and it looks better :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1492451781' post='3280383']
My rule.

In the studio, lined, because it wastes everyone's time if I have to re-record poorly intoned parts.

On stage, unlined because I've never been able to see the lines anyway, I'm not tempted to look down (my attention is anyway usually elsewhere trying to avoid being hit in the face by the guitarist's headstock or walking off stage etc), and it looks better :)
[/quote]

This for me too

You say you're happy with your current unlined fretless? Some find it challenging to change between lined and unlined. It's down to your preference and ability I guess.
I also have both and am not great on either but it does boil down to practice, which I clearly don't do enough of.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1492452929' post='3280393']
Unlined yes, side markers yes......practise lots :-)
[/quote]
Same here, I'm not that good a player but get on far better using my ears, concentrating or my positioning and avoiding the temptation at the fret board.
I'm pretty certain that playing fretless makes me position my fingers more accuratly when playing fretted too.

Edited by Pinball

I prefer unlined like the Ibanez portamento. It looks nicer from the front, but it has the lines on the edge, which are the bits you look at when you are playing.
I have (and am selling) the Squier Jazz fretless which is lined, and I have the Ibanez 705 which has the side markers, I don't find it any difference working out where the fingers need to be between them as I am just looking at the edge.

[quote name='scoot' timestamp='1492457052' post='3280453']
I play unlined and am pretty much ok in the lower register, but I sometimes struggle higher up, especially in a loud band. Can I opt for unlined up to the octave.... ;) ;) ;)
[/quote]
I have to say, my intonation does get a bit suspect above the 9th.

Also, please don't mistake me for one of Scott's cheerleaders in the academy. Some of the hero worship there is enough to make you.... well, you know.