Why become a member? ×

hello from derbyshire and some advice

mac1012

Hi there I live in chesterfield and I am thinking of taking up bass guitar , I have some musical background having dabbled in piano , keyboard , flute (grade 2-3 ) guitar , I am currently playing classical guitar but find it both rewarding and difficult like any instrument.

I used to play percussion congas etc in my church worship band and would like to get back in the group but not the congas there is always a glut of singer / guitar players so I figured bass would be a good fit. I do like the sound and rhythm of a bass and feel due to my conga days I have a fairly good sense of rhythm.

I can read music very well on the treble and fairly well on the bass cleff

my rest stroke playing on the CG is coming along nicely. The more I look into the bass the more I realise muting is a big part of playing and looks quite difficult / technical.

I have been looking for a used bass to dip my toe in and I tried a used shine bass in my local shop but the control knobs were crackling bit , I am tempted to get a new squire bass in the hope I stick with it and get into it.

I do love a good bass line , what got me going as when I was in the car last week and pandoras box came on by omd and it made the hairs stick up on the back of my neck when the bass line kicked in.

I have seen a peavey in another shop few miles away for 120 but not sure what age , model it is for 120 pounds

Could any one recommend a good progressive book for beginner's ?

anyway thought I would say hello and maybe soon I will take the plunge and buy one lol

Mark

Edited by mac1012

Hi Mark, and welcome! I'm not sure about books but there are some great online resources, particularly on YouTube, for getting started. Scotts Bass Lessons has tons of free content to get you started, and there are plenty of other similarly popular channels.

I wanted to buy my first bike since I was a kid recently and someone told me that if I bought the first cheap bike I spotted on Gumtree that I'd give up within a week. I'd say the same can apply to any instrument - you can still get great instruments on a budget but often the marketplace is flooded with crappy Argos kit. The Peavey could be good, or check out Squier and Yamaha gear. If you can, buy used; this site has a great section for that and everyone I've dealt with has been amazing!

Good luck, let us know what you get with plenty of pictures!
Rik