Why become a member? ×

Delete

SH73

Those basses are really nice. It was a shame that the one I tried out was the heaviest P bass I've ever picked up. Had it not have been, even with the logo, I'd have been hard purchased not to buy on 24 months interest free (the offer the short had at the time). I wish they'd finished the Nate Mendel neck as nicely as the Steve Harris model, but tonally the SH had the better sound.

A lot of that might be to do with the pickup, which you can 'pick up' separately... But I suspect a lot of it is also to do with that beefy neck. I had a classic 50s for a while and it had something special about it, best sounding P I've ever tried, but found the combo of wide neck / small radius / sharp board edges uncomfortable to play.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1492504511' post='3280684']
A lot of that might be to do with the pickup, which you can 'pick up' separately... But I suspect a lot of it is also to do with that beefy neck. I had a classic 50s for a while and it had something special about it, best sounding P I've ever tried, but found the combo of wide neck / small radius / sharp board edges uncomfortable to play.
[/quote]

I agree with regard to the pickup, but even acoustically the SH had a clearer bell-like tone to it with a girth to the note. Not 'more bass', but more note definition in the lows. Possibly down to the maple neck and maple body combination rather than the rosewood fretboard/ash combo of the Nate. The neck is a much better finish on the SH too. Interestingly, I did spot the Scott Devine discussion about comparing his new Moollon to the Nate Mendel bass. The SH I demo'd matched his description of the Moollon in comparison to the Nate. Thing is, I'm not bashing the Nate as it is still a very good bass. Just different and less 'my thing', if that makes sense!

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1492505121' post='3280693']
I'm struggling to see the point of this thread, other than a bit of trolling. She's out there playing, giving it a go. C'mon Basschat, we're better than that!
[/quote]

It takes balls to put yourself out there, especially in a sea of frankly horrible people commenting on YouTube, so I commend her for uploading a play through. I've always turned commenting off on my own videos. A stronger person than I in that case!

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1492505121' post='3280693']
I'm struggling to see the point of this thread, other than a bit of trolling. She's out there playing, giving it a go. C'mon Basschat, we're better than that!
[/quote]
There is a gentle sarcasm in the thread title. Her playing is awful. I don't expect anyone to play bass covers note by note,I'm not perfect either,but this is just too bad.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492510555' post='3280769']
a sea of frankly horrible people commenting on YouTube
[/quote]

It would seem this place is heading the same direction. If you can't say anything nice (or at least constructive!), don't say anything at all...

Fair play to her, she's a kid, she's enjoying herself, it's ok to be a beginner and put yourself out there. Having the confidence to play to an audience is half the battle. Would be much better to encourage people who are trying to make something of themselves rather than beat them to a pulp.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1492513465' post='3280796']
There is a gentle sarcasm in the thread title. Her playing is awful. I don't expect anyone to play bass covers note by note,I'm not perfect either,but this is just too bad.
[/quote]

Constantine Islamow showed a bit of respect on her playing. Why cant you?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1492519118' post='3280860']

Constantine Islamow showed a bit of respect on her playing. Why cant you?
[/quote]
I've never commented on her channel or playing on You Tube.I don't get it.. why would someone upload a video if they play completely out of tune, play different notes. It sounds as if she played a different song.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1492521680' post='3280895']

It doesn't matter. You may as well have done. For all you know she may be a member of Basschat.

If that is ever is as good as she is going to get and she's in a happy place because of it, then I'm all for it.

I applaud Constantine for his comment and I'm sure that means an awful lot to her, presuming she knows who he is.

Constantine is very supportive of anyone who has a genuine interest in playing, as should we all be.
[/quote]
If she is I can only apologise...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1492523470' post='3280911']

Why not just apologise anyway?

And while you're at it, edit your first post and take off the link. Because essentially this is a form of cyber bullying. It's completely unfair to rip apart and humiliate a person who has innocently posted a video of something they are proud of.
[/quote]

Have to agree.
BC is not about putting down Players of any standard. It's about sharing the bass world. When she is up to speed like Mr Harris, well all be hailing her speed

Why do we bother playing? Because we enjoy it. In fact, we love it. Even when I play badly it's often the best part of my day.

My parents had to put up with a year of me learning and transcribing the Smiths back catalogue. Did they complain?

Not once...

We were all sh*t once.