Why become a member? ×

...and now for something completely different...

leftybassman392

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1492527392' post='3280950']
If you can make a £50.00 Casio sound like that, I think you might be onto something.
Especially, if it can make 'Toccata & Fugue In D minor', sound like it's 'Toccata & Fugue In B minor'.... :D
[/quote]

I'm not generally a fan of massed guitar music as it normally sounds horribly contrived and artificial to my ears, but I actually thought this was pretty convincing. They do have some orchestral stuff as well - 'Mars' from The Planets is a good example if you can find it.

I wouldn't want to listen to them for any length of time (and the long-haired guy who seems to be the leader comes over as a bit of dick TBH), but as a one-off I thought it was ok.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1492531950' post='3281006']
I'm not generally a fan of massed guitar music, as it normally sounds horribly contrived and artificial to my ears, but I actually thought this was pretty convincing. They do have some orchestral stuff as well - 'Mars' from The Planets is a good example if you can find it.

I wouldn't want to listen to them for any length of time (and the long-haired guy who seems to be the leader comes over as a bit of dick TBH), but as a one-off I thought it was ok.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree and I enjoyed it.
I was just amused that they played it in B minor (in true Guitarist fashion). :D

I will look for 'Mars'.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1492505134' post='3280695']
So with enough effects, some sunglasses, and a few hats, you can make electric guitars sound like a church organ.

Who knew?
[/quote]

Mike Oldfield, that's who. He used something like sixty odd guitar overdubs on Ommadawn. I suppose he did it that way to avoid dealing with the unreasonable demands that church organists make during recording sessions.

Another option at the time would've been to hire Rolf 'Arris and his stylophone. Even with the benefit of hindsight I'm not sure what would've been a dodgier prospect to work with. Gary Glitter with a comb and tissue paper? I think I'd rather be left alone in a room with sixty guitarists.

That clip though. I had to stop watching it because of the bloke with the long hair. After the second flick of his quiffy bits I was stuck with an image of him as the back end of a horse flicking bot flies away with its tail. I'll listen without looking next time.

Edited by SpondonBassed

It would have been more interesting, for me, If they had played the piece with the guitars sounding like guitars. Making them sound like orchestral instruments defeated the whole point for me, If I want to hear an orchestra play that music I will go and watch an orchestra.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1492588671' post='3281354']
It would have been more interesting, for me, If they had played the piece with the guitars sounding like guitars. Making them sound like orchestral instruments defeated the whole point for me, If I want to hear an orchestra play that music I will go and watch an orchestra.
[/quote]

Except for the tutti sections they did sound like guitars (or at least I thought so: YMMV of course). Also I don't think the organ sounds were an accident of having a lot of guitars playing at the same time; I got the impression that some thought had gone into the arrangement of the parts, which in turn suggests that they'd done some analysis of why an organ sounds the way it does (cue the 'wind-in-pipes' jokes). As I said, I wouldn't want to listen to them for a long time, but an interesting idea nonetheless. Oh, and nary a music stand in sight. Worth a few minutes of my time at least. :)

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1492583700' post='3281303']
I had to stop watching it because of the bloke with the long hair. After the second flick of his quiffy bits I was stuck with an image of him as the back end of a horse flicking bot flies away with its tail. I'll listen without looking next time.
[/quote]

Likewise :)