Why become a member? ×

Math Rock Advice

Burns-bass

Hello all, I've recently been listening to bands like Battles and Three Trapped Tigers and am really enjoying it. I've been a huge Warp, Squarepusher, Apex Twin fan in the past but, if I'm brutally honest, am now old and have a baby so I have no time to find new music.

Be interested in hearing recommendations on what I should be listening too if anyone has a view or an insight into the genre, or where I should be looking.

There's a guy on here in a Math Metal band, can't remember his name but will keep thinking about it until I do :angry:

Ha! Got it, it's Dread Bass. Nice guy.

Edited by ead

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1492507769' post='3280735']
Brilliant, thanks guys! I'll check it out when I'm not working on a policy brief about Short Bowel Syndrome. (This isn't a joke)
[/quote]

Let us know when you've worked it out. Meanwhile, I'll find out if I am allowed to use a calculator while listening.

Cheers guys, this is all good. I love the GYBE stuff and saw them live too about 15 years ago I think. Was very loud indeed. Was it with Mogwai? God knows, I was using a lot of recreational drugs at the time (all given up now).

My position paper on SBS has been finished and I can now crack on with getting some listening done.

I'm not up with genres and that. I thought God speed and Mogwai were post rock. It's all very confusing.

There's a friend of mine plays in a math rock band, I'm told it's math rock anyway. They're called the yacht club, pretty good.

[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1492584584' post='3281310']
No mention of Don Caballero yet? The American Don album is basically the blueprint for every math rock album that followed!

Other top pop picks are:

This Town Needs Guns (now TTNG)
Cleft
Tricot
self-evident
Yona Kit
American Football
Faraquet
[/quote]

Good to see Cleft getting a mention, brilliant band.

Alpha Male Tea Party - tremendous band, mainly instrumental, great guitar work, time signature madness, and their drummer is probably the best hitter of things I've ever had the pleasure of being in a band with (back before he joined these guys), he's unreal. I dep for the bassist in his function band when they're touring too. Lovely chaps all around and new album due out pretty soon.

Edited by mike257

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1492626685' post='3281807']
I can't get my head around of these different genres. I love The Mars Volta but had no idea they were math rock?
[/quote]

TBH I think of The Mars Volta as Prog

Whatevs though its good music which is very technical