Why become a member? ×

Speaking of Prince,

ivansc

I finally got to see the documentary on his life on Saturday.
What a sad, tragic life, assuming the film was truthful.

I already respected the man's talent and ability, but this film made me feel like I had undervalued his musical contributions immensely.

I didn't like Prince in the eighties. When he first appeared he was an object of ridicule because of his music video where he appears to ride a full dress touring motorcycle. When we saw that it was a teeny weeny Honda 250, he lost all credibility. Well, right or wrong, that was the opinion of my peer group at the time. We were all about surface, never the substance that supported it. I was young and had no sense.

Not very long after, I learned that Prince as a performer was just a facet of this small man's huge talent. He was controversial in his own right but all of the time, his writing was making hits for other musicians. I realised that the persona of Prince was merely an outlet and not the main body of his work. We laughed when he dropped his name for that symbol thingy. Branding was not one of his strong points. However, he was always there working away in the industry and occasionally making the news.

I grew to appreciate him for his music much more than his stage appearance as a maturing adult. He was innovative, lyrically pithy and always worthy of attention. I would have liked to meet the man behind the persona and shook his hand.

First impressions don't always last

His albums often include alot of hard grinding funk that goes on too long and woozy jazzy smooch ballads but every so often there are real gems of pop music hidden in there. His guitar playing often sounds like a busy bee buzz and yet I find it compelling 🎸

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1492661349' post='3282048']

and to do it in such esteemed company too :)
[/quote]

No rehearsals either, according to this (which is a great read).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39632898

thanks for sharing that,this is from that link

One night, months into 1993's Act I tour, Nelson missed a high B during his solo on a song called The Flow.
"The next day, [Prince] came by and said, 'You're gonna play that solo right tonight?'" [url="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prince-in-the-nineties-an-oral-history-20160505"]he told Rolling Stone[/url]. "I said, 'I'll do my best.' And he says, 'Uh, you did your best last night.' And he walks away."
That night, when it came to the solo, Prince walked up to him with his "golden gun" microphone and held it to his head.

He was the most staggeringly talented man. Could play any instrument (probably better than any of his band members), he could sing, dance, write music, perform, produce, choreograph and he had a fabulous imagination and vision. He became a different person on stage which offered him a release from his intense shyness. He seemed isolated by is incredible talent though which is such a tragedy, born out by the manner of his death. There won't be another one like him.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1492510369' post='3280766']
I finally got to see the documentary on his life on Saturday.
What a sad, tragic life, assuming the film was truthful.

I already respected the man's talent and ability, but this film made me feel like I had undervalued his musical contributions immensely.
[/quote]

oh man, I missed that. Where can I watch it? Is it still available?

Sorry - completely forgotten what station I watched it on! We should prolly google? Hang on

[color=#282898][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Channel 5[/size][/font][/color][color=#282898][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] [/size][/font][/color][color=#282898][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Sun 16 Apr 2017, 9pm [/size][/font][/color]

Apparently the Prince fans are not taking it any better than any of the other docu's on him, but I liked that they made no attempt to disguise that is IS a docu-drama.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1492975557' post='3284584']
Sorry - completely forgotten what station I watched it on! We should prolly google? Hang on

[color=#282898][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Channel 5[/size][/font][/color][color=#282898][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Sun 16 Apr 2017, 9pm [/size][/font][/color]

Apparently the Prince fans are not taking it any better than any of the other docu's on him, but I liked that they made no attempt to disguise that is IS a docu-drama.
[/quote]

Thank you! Found and ready to watch :)

edit: and found a concert too so that one is ready also... and I'm off work for the next three days, I bet I'll find time :)

edit2: watched it... that was pretty sad. I had expected him to have had a much happier life.

Edited by mcnach