Why become a member? ×

Lesson learnt

SH73

Aaaaaargh! Someone had to go and mention Bert flipping Weedon!

His "Play in a Day" guitar book presumed a knowledge of songs that were out of date before I was even born. I gave up trying after using his "method". It was years later that I got over myself but I [i]still[/i] don't want to play six strings, even on a bass.

He might as well have been Ed Winchester! It is said that he was the first British guitarist to have a hit record in the UK singles chart but come on... that was 1959! I had his book twenty years later and its practice material didn't bear any relationship to any of the music that the youth were listening to.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1492682308' post='3282228']
Bert, was cool and a lovely guy (he was much loved in the music business).
I did quite a few gigs and shows with him over the years.
Not exactly a taxing Bass gig, but enjoyable, non the less.
(And i got I signed copy of his book)..... :lol:
[/quote]

I'm sure he was. I wouldn't want to suggest otherwise but we didn't have the choice of learning resources that there are today.

Bert was about the extent of it where I lived at that time. My dad was unsympathetic. He absolutely refused to start me off with an electric guitar because I had to prove my ability on an acoustic first. He might have had a point but the acoustic I got was horrible. Made for nylon strings but strung with cheap steel ones it was a right old cheese grater. Between Dad's classic tendencies (he dabbled with piano but only ever to himself) and Bert's "Bobbie Shafto" or whatever it was, I had little inspiration other than admiring the fake performances that were on TOTP.

I am clearly traumatised by the whole experience and am better off putting it behind me. Long live YT, vlogging musicians and isolated tracks. That's what really brought me back into learning for fun in my fifties.