Why become a member? ×

Custom valve kits from Watford Valves

Max Normal

Has anyone had experience of these? I have an Ampeg SVT3Pro which has a valve preamp stage and a mosfet power amp stage, so I'm interested in some preamp valves.

here are various replacement preamp valve kits on Watford Valves at a variety of prices and a variety of different claimed tonal qualities.

Do they really reliably make the huge difference in sound as described in each kit description, and do you think it's a real improvement on the standard valves? And do the higher prices reflect the actual quality of the improvement in sound, or just the availability of the particular valves.

It's a bit of a shot in the dark to drop £80.00 - £200.00 when you can't hear them before you buy.

I can't speak for any of those, but was surprised by a friends combo which was identical to mine except for a cheap replacement valve. The tone was awful compared to mine, he has since switched to an NOS one and it sounds much better. So I would say 100% that quality of valves does affect tone. How that relates to these products I can't say though.

I bought a set of their higher-gain valves for the SVT 3-PRO and it did do exactly as described. Didn`t turn the amp into Lemmy, but there was definately more "hair" to the sound than before, and made the 3-PRO sound more in the realms of SVT-like than before.