Why become a member? ×

Recording on phone

Stonemonkey

This is probably old news but I thought it was pretty cool when I discovered it and couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else.

I'd been searching around for some device that would let me mix the bass with an audio track and play through headphones and came across a couple of cheap effects units that let you do that, I already had a B2.1u but that didn't have an aux in, however, it has a USB port to connect to PC. It turns out though that I can connect my phone to the B2.1u USB port with an otg lead and the B2.1u becomes the phones soundcard so I can play music off the phone through it, it also seems pretty good at recording, at the moment I'm using audio evolution software for multitrack audio/midi recording/editing. It works really well with my Sony z3 compact but not so well with my cheaper (work) ht20 phone and there's a bit of crackling on the recordings.

Anyone else use any such setup, got any opinions, is there any other software that might work with it?

When I first started I used a 2.1u as an interface , it did work but the latency was an issue , and IIRC the volume levels went funny on playback . I guess hacks are ok for you clever dudes who know what you are doing , but I now just go for stuff that's designed for the job :D

Who said I'm a dude who knows what he's doing? :)

I had tried the b2.1u connected to laptop before and had latency issues and thought it was down to drivers on my comp but never managed to find a fix and gave up with that.
Recording on the phone at 44.1k there are some latency issues but recording at 48k seems to sort it out.
It was just stuff I already had (except the software) and just had to plug together to come up with a wee portable recording/editing setup.