Why become a member? ×

Precisions with slimmer neck

johnpaulbass

Thanks for the answers,

since I'm a Fender guy I've wrote to Mark from Limelight today to see what it can be done.

I do like stock guitars so to modify or to replace a part is not an option for me.

I've also received a nice propossal from MattM which has, I think, basically what I'm looking for.

Will see.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1492598972' post='3281483']
Buy this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302501-limelight-jazzprecision-neck/"]http://basschat.co.u...precision-neck/[/url]
Job done...
[/quote]

+1 but then I would say that wouldn't I B) :lol:

I have an Japanese pb70us not-for-export model which has a 38mm nut and slim neck, try and find one similar.

Could also be a technique adjustment. I also have tiny hands but no issues playing Yamaha trb5p neck or upright. Where is your left hand thumb, on the back of the neck or wrapped round the E string side?

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1492604100' post='3281549']
Pure guess and no idea of cost but, if the bass is perfect in every other way, can you get a luthier to reshape the neck to B profile? It must be possible in theory and you should preserve everything you like about that instrument. One of those factors would be how compatible the neck and body are and replacing the neck is always something of a gamble, even if it fits perfectly.
[/quote]

Sorry to be late to this thread - but this was also going to be my suggestion.
i know some may be horrified at making such an alteration to a bass - but if you love everything else about it, then this is surely a course of action to be considered. Of course, you could buy a slimmer Fender P neck, swap them over, and keep the original - in case you ever do decide to sell?

My Fender Roadworn P had the neck slimmed down by a luthier (before I bought it on this forum) and the luthier did a superb job! You would never know the neck had been altered in any way, and it feels superb - just the right width and depth. In fact, it's very much like the neck on my RW Jazz - which is the bass that made me fall for Fenders again

I once tried a very Pino-like Limelight bass which was also on the 2nd hand market here. Mark at Limelight had been asked to build that P bass, but with a neck with Jazz dimensions - that bass was absolutely lovely. At the time, I needed to sell a bass before buying, or I'd have had that Limelight! Maybe ask Mark to sell you a neck?

EDIT: I was also going to suggest the neck Rumple is selling

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302501-limelight-jazzprecision-neck/page__p__3277651__hl__neck__fromsearch__1#entry3277651

Edited by Marc S