Why become a member? ×

Ariane Cap's book on music theory

Cat Burrito

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1492603220' post='3281534']
Theres some discussion of this in the Theory and Technique forum, I believe the author herself contributed.
[/quote]

Here is the link :

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/288710-ariane-cap-20-unit-online-course-l190-thoughts/page__p__3127658__hl__ariane%20cap__fromsearch__1#entry3127658

Also, here is a link to what they think on Talkbass:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ariane-cap-music-theory-for-the-bass-player.1237875/

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1492602036' post='3281518']...
Has anyone used this or have any thoughts they'd care to share on it?...
[/quote]

I've got this, amongst many other bass methods, and found it to be very useful, over a long period. Maybe best if studied progressively from the very beginning, and advancing in order, step by step. Some initial knowledge is required, which an intermediate, autodidact bass player would probably have. Especially useful studied in conjunction with other methods, I'd say, such as the Hal Leonard bass method. The book's a 'keeper'; don't expect to absorb all of it just be flicking through. Some (agreeable...) effort is required of the student, but results follow on. Recommended.

My experience with Bass and Guitar instruction book is not good. My eyesight is poor and trying to read tab is difficult. I get round this by scanning the book to a file which I can enlarge on the screen. Like golf, I think it is difficult to learn how to play bass from a book. If one exists, I have not found it yet...

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1492616353' post='3281676']
My experience with Bass and Guitar instruction book is not good. My eyesight is poor and trying to read tab is difficult. I get round this by scanning the book to a file which I can enlarge on the screen. Like golf, I think it is difficult to learn how to play bass from a book. If one exists, I have not found it yet...
[/quote]

This method uses very little tab; indeed, not much at all that needs 'reading' music. Much use is made of helpful diagrams; the author has faith in 'shapes' as being a good way of getting the message across. In that sense, it's a method quite different (but complementary...) to other approaches. It may not work for everyone, of course, but is easy to assimilate, just the same.