Why become a member? ×

Could anyone help with a rough valuation? Mexican Fender Jazz

T-Bay

I have been offered a Mexican Fender Jazz, but asked to 'make an offer' (I hate doing that). It's white and reasonable condition, just in need of a setup and clean I understand.

Could anyone give a rough figure of what they usually go for? (I have searched the old Internet and found widely varying prices so after a ball park as opposed to down to the last penny). Also, are they ever copied? If so, any tips on how to check it's genuine.

You may have guessed that I am a Fender Virgin!

People seems to be asking a bit more for the more recent Mexican Fenders but I personally, for a used [i]standard [/i]mex, wouldn't want to pay much more than £350. Less if it was a bit battered or in need of some work.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1492603205' post='3281533']
Is that a top value or what you would offer?
[/quote]

Just seems to be roughly what I've seen them go for. The market price does fluctuate.

It's only worth what you're willing to pay ( :ph34r: )

Edited by Bass_Guardian

I've got a MIM Jazz , that I have been meaning to sell but TBH also wasn't sure for how much . I've seen some advertised for not much less than a new one, and some for between £300- £400 and Squiers for not much less. I'd offer £300, but you'd be better having a look. I think the older MIMs ( pre- 2007?) go for a bit less than the newer upgraded ones.
I was in Guitar Guitar recently and asked what they thought I should sell mine for ... £400 was suggested if in good condition.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1492611130' post='3281620']
Not all squiers are created equal

Neither are mex jazzes- suggest you post the serial number ?
[/quote]
I have only seen a rough pic so far, will post up the number if I can get it. Having spoken to him again it would seem that he has a sensible idea of value that looks to fall broadly with above, well a little bit less actually so will have to see.

Thanks for all the help.

Made in Mexico in 2003

There are shifts in quality based on date, some premium, and not premium but still really good models are made in Mexico
I had a 97 and it was woeful but most 2000 on has been better made

Edited by Geek99

Had a search and found it's a 2003, after further discussion (it's quite a way from me so don't want to waste a trip) it's going to be around £350, he wanted £400, I suggested £300 if ok and he came back with £350 which seems reasonable from what has been said above if it's as described. Time will tell.....

Edit^^^^ beat me to it by a minute! Thanks anyway.

Edited by T-Bay

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1492603726' post='3281541']
People seems to be asking a bit more for the more recent Mexican Fenders but I personally, for a used [i]standard [/i]mex, wouldn't want to pay much more than £350. Less if it was a bit battered or in need of some work.
[/quote]
It's really quite an old one so I'd be thinking 265-275

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1492630074' post='3281867']
STill a bit over priced in my opinion - unless it's a shop with bills, staff, vat etc
[/quote]
Thanks, it's a mate of a mate which makes the discusssion a bit trickier in some ways but he is a friendly chap so will see what comes when the decent pics arrive. It's a 200 mile round trip so I will want to be fixed in my mind regarding condition and price before I do it. Searching around I can seem to find any for much below £350 but that is as of today, doesn't mean there weren't twenty for sale at £200 last week or indeed next week for that matter, hence why I asked the immensely more experienced resource that BC is as I had no real clue beyond what they are new. I would prefer a precision anyway tbh so certainly don't want to pay a premium for a Jazz.

Just this minute had pics through and it's a no goer I think, condition is not great overall and it desperately needs a really good clean, and pots are crackly too so may need a clean but may need looking at. I will speak to him about it but think it will need a reasonable amount of time and effort to get into perfect fettle and it doesn't seem to be reflected in the price so I will pass and keep an eye out for one as I am in no rush.

Ok just saying as I picked up a Warwick that my other half said was a biohazard and fit only for the tip. It cleaned up nicely and just needed a jack socket. A bit of cleaning and crackly pots is par for the course and a bit of damage is unremarkable with age

I am happy doing some work, in fact I love a project, but would want to pay a fair amount based on that. It just gives an overall impression of not having been looked after so I am going to pass on it. I think it was bought on a whim and has just sat since shortly after new and not been touched. If it was a rare model I would take it on, but it's a common one, not cheap and a fair way from me.

Thanks all for the input it's much appreciated. (I will try and get the pics up but whatsapp is playing silly beggars at the moment).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1492638720' post='3281979']
Personally there's no way I'd make a 200 mile round trip for something as easy to find as a Mexican Fender Jazz, especially if it's in a bit of a mess.
[/quote]
Exactly my thoughts, if the price/ condition warranted the effort I would. I have spoken again to the guy and he is happy. I don't think he really has any idea either of value.

I dont think I paid much more than £350 new for mine in 2001. I think the Quality control on these were very dependent on who was working that day! I played quite a few and a few others over the years and they all seem so different.

Mine looks like this if you want to check the body. . http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/099-8008-732.jpg

no idea on why the big routing hole from the control panel to pickup or that silly little hole near the lower horn ?

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1492696281' post='3282440']
I dont think I paid much more than £350 new for mine in 2001. I think the Quality control on these were very dependent on who was working that day! I played quite a few and a few others over the years and they all seem so different.

Mine looks like this if you want to check the body. . http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/099-8008-732.jpg

no idea on why the big routing hole from the control panel to pickup or that silly little hole near the lower horn ?
[/quote]
Those are jig points for routing out the body