Why become a member? ×

What Upright to get as a first buy to learn on??

JamesFlashG

Hi all need some help / advice, I Am currently playing electric bass professionally and want to expand my employability by becoming proficient at upright also but know very little about the instrument so I need suggestions for a 1st Upright purchase (acoustic or EUB) something that is a decent instrument to learn on but will also not break the bank. I am willing to spend up to £1000, maybe a little over. Is there anyone with experience that can make some suggestions as to what quality of instrument i can get for that money and what to look at / where to buy for best deals?

Thanks in advance!

I would go for a secondhand Eastern European instrument with a solid wood top and plywood back and sides (hybrid). you should find a decent one, well set-up and with good strings on, for well under £1k. Boosey and Hawkes, 'Golden Strad' etc. If it's a bit scratched that's no bad thing - you can take it to pub sessions without having panic attacks, and if you look after it you'll easily sell it for what you paid for it, even after a few years of playing.

Laurence Dixon down in Hernehill has some great basses in that price range. He really knows his way around a setup so would get it sounding and feeling right. Had a little play on one last time I was down and think they'd be a great bass for beginner/intermediate players.

I know I keep plugging his work on here, but it's just because I think what he does is great :)

• 4 weeks later...

All good advice above. My first "proper" DB was an Eastern European Boosey & Hawkes, and it was lovely
Mind you, my first foray into the world of DB was actually a Stagg EUB - though they're not the best of instruments available (to say the least) they are certainly good enough to have a dabble, and explore what the world of DB is like. At around £250 second-hand, they're great value, and you'll get that back if / when you decide to upgrade.... or decide DB is not for you...

Keep an eye on the marketplace for something like a B&H though, or maybe a Stentor / Zeller. Again, go for a used bass in good condition. If you have any DB playing pals - ask them to come & take a look. Also, don't forget to ask for help from fellow Basschat members - There are plenty of friendly DB playing Basschatters who would let you have a play of their bass, and give you some pointers to look out for when buying... or even come along with you, I'm sure :) Especially as you live in "that London" - where more seem to come up for sale.

Living in South Wales, they rarely seemed to come up for sale when I was looking - but the kind and friendly Sarah of this parish let me come along for a chat and a play of her bass.. It's worth asking anyway - I know if you were anywhere near me, you'd be welcome to pop by for a chat and play of both my EUB and DB... provided you brought nice biscuits, of course - Heck, I'd even put the kettle on ;)

Most of all, good luck in your search

Thwaites in Watford used to have a good selection of used Eastern European instruments at the £1000 mark, but looking at their website, that doesn't seem to be the case any more. May still be worth giving them a call to see if they have anything in though.

If you're prepared to wait for a bass, then I'd definitely agree with others and suggest that you go for a nice old Eastern European bass. You'll have to spend some time repeatedly scouring ebay/gumtree/bassschat to catch then when they come up but you can pick up a pretty solid bass that's been around for 20+ years and is still in one piece so you know it's decent quality. Both my basses are Eastern European (one East German, the other Hungarian) and both cost me less that £600. £200 spent on a set up and bingo - you've got a very useable bass for <£1000.

If you're not prepared to wait, then I'd recommend one of the Thomann 2 double basses. They're built in the Hora factory in Romania and are very good for the money. Another option is the Stentor Student 2 bass. Oue Guitarist has one and it's also very good.

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_22_02.htm"]https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_22_02.htm[/url]

[url="https://www.stentor-music.com/brands/stentor/stentor-student-ii-double-bass-outfit-58/"]https://www.stentor-music.com/brands/stentor/stentor-student-ii-double-bass-outfit-58/[/url]

I've played both of these and would more than happy to have either as a regular gigging bass.

If you were to go down the new bass route - another name / brand to consider, is Gedo, who are located in Germany. Though I've not tried one myself (ahem! lol) there are quite a few BC members who really rate them very highly. Gedo will also set the bass up to your requirements before it leaves the factory, I believe. I must admit, I do like the look of that Stentor TheRev mentions in his post above, and I really like the look of some of Gedo's basses - particularly the cutaway body design versions :)

EDIT: Here's one at 609 Euros, exc shipping - looks great.
[url="http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/en/home/351-kontrabass-matt-lackierung-cutaway-komplett-laminiert-neu-4260227046038.html"]http://www.gedo-musi...0227046038.html[/url]

EDIT2: You could also consider getting a bass with, or getting a bass set up to include an adjustable bridge. These are particularly handy if you don't quite know how you'd like it set up, or what height action you want. Even more useful if, like me, you later decide you want to play with more chunky strings and want to try your hand at slap DB... You can always lower the bridge in future, if you change back to pizz or arco stlyes, or change strings again

Edited by Marc S

I looked at the Stentors when I was searching for a bass, something like 12 years ago. I don't know if this is still the case, but I remember noticing just how small proportioned all of their 3/4 size basses were, to the point that the endpin didn't extend far enough for me (I'm about 6'2"). It's not necessarily a negative, just something to consider.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1495032161' post='3300698']
I looked at the Stentors when I was searching for a bass, something like 12 years ago. I don't know if this is still the case, but I remember noticing just how small proportioned all of their 3/4 size basses were, to the point that the endpin didn't extend far enough for me (I'm about 6'2"). It's not necessarily a negative, just something to consider.
[/quote]

That may be why I like them, I'm a total shortarse.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1495032161' post='3300698']
....I don't know if this is still the case, but I remember noticing just how small proportioned all of their 3/4 size basses were, to the point that the endpin didn't extend far enough for me (I'm about 6'2"). It's not necessarily a negative, just something to consider.
[/quote]

I saw a Stentor some time back - in fact, I had considered trading it + some cash for my Gage (then saw the light! lol) It certainly wasn't a small proportioned bass, and the endpin extended beyond coping with me at around 6'00".. perhaps the smaller basses are the Stentor Student range? Does anyone here own a Stentor Student bass? It'd be worth knowing whether they're full size

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1495110595' post='3301350']

I saw a Stentor some time back - in fact, I had considered trading it + some cash for my Gage (then saw the light! lol) It certainly wasn't a small proportioned bass, and the endpin extended beyond coping with me at around 6'00".. perhaps the smaller basses are the Stentor Student range? Does anyone here own a Stentor Student bass? It'd be worth knowing whether they're full size
[/quote]

A friend has one of the hybrid Student models, and IIRC it's standard 3/4 in terms of scale length, just at the more compact end of body proportions. His has held up OK and not given him any trouble, and it sounds OK though I've heard much "bigger" sounding basses.

I have a Stentor Student 1950 3/4 hybrid, completely standard I think. I'm six foot one and with the end pin fully extended the nut is about level with my eyebrow when in playing position, which I understand is the rule-of-thumb recommended height for playing when standing up. Works well as a gigging bass because it's light compared to other 3/4 size bases that I've tried to lift... I don't know about body size.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1495110595' post='3301350']

[/quote]

Our guitarist's Stentor Student 2 bass is currently living at my house - I can make some measurements if you like?
It's definitely a 3/4 sized bass though.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1492626069' post='3281792']
I would go for a secondhand Eastern European instrument with a solid wood top and plywood back and sides (hybrid). you should find a decent one, well set-up and with good strings on, for well under £1k. Boosey and Hawkes, 'Golden Strad' etc. If it's a bit scratched that's no bad thing - you can take it to pub sessions without having panic attacks, and if you look after it you'll easily sell it for what you paid for it, even after a few years of playing.
[/quote]

<<<This. :)