Why become a member? ×

New tune on SoundCloud - What did you do today

AdamWoodBass

Adam, congrats on what I hope I'm right in thinking, is possibly one of your earlier compositions?

I'm only able to listen on a mobile phone, so not the best sound. I'm also not a lover of "dirt". I'm also not as knowledgeable as many others here. (Maybe I should keep quie?)

To be very honest, it has potential. The bassline groove does get a bit repetitive. Unless I'm mistaken it seems to stay in the same chord throughout. To my ears it would be better if you can change this
and and the other parts, to follow a 251 sequence or something and follow a sequence such as 12 bar, or similar?

Keep up the good work though. It's good to hear your work. Thanks.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1492644048' post='3282023']...
Enjoy...
[/quote]

And enjoy I did..! Well played, decently composed and arranged, cleanly recorded; what's not to like..? I liked the staggered intro, followed by a riff suitable for 'looping' [i]à la [/i]Ed Sheeran, with a free-floating melody layered on top. Maybe a smidgen crowded towards the end..? Particular kudos for the drums; excellent. Thanks for sharing; any more to come..?
As for the question: I've not done much, so far, today, but there's still time, isn't there..? ;)

Thanks for the comments guys!

So this started out as a little noodle I was playing around with last night while my wife was out. When I say "finished" it's more a "finished concept". I was experimenting with effects in Reaper trying to see if I could get loads of different sounds out of one relatively cheap bass. In total I probably spent about 3 hours from composition to recording last night.

It is pretty repetitive and I think if my band like the idea we'll properly arrange it into something. We're still very much in the writing process at the moment but there's lots of cool stuff to come.

I would have liked to add a bridge to it and would probably rerecord the solo (my solos tend to be a bit noodly). I would have done a keys part but I'm a woeful keys player! The melody line is probably more suited to a synth which is where the distortion came in.

Glad you enjoyed it!