Why become a member? ×

How do you Clean your Strings?

SpondonBassed

Twincam was the most recent example I've seen of a Rotosound string user complaining of premature string death. I wondered how many users have successful restored the sound of their strings by cleaning.

I've been using ultrasound for a while. About ten years ago I spotted a small ultrasound bath intended for cleaning jewellery that was for sale in our local ALDI. It was less than a tenner so I had to give it a go. I have found it cleans sweaty watch straps, spectacle frames and guitar strings really well.

At first I used warm soapy water as the solvent but quickly changed to 100 percent iso propyl alcohol when cleaning strings. 100 percent concentration is important as there is no significant quantity of water present and the solvent evaporates off without leaving water behind to cause corrosion or damage to string tails. The solvent is available on the 'net. I would warn that string tails may not be colour fast in this solvent however. Observe all of the warnings on the label. I'd also check that coated strings are safe in this solvent else I'd use warm soapy water and gently blow dry the string thoroughly.

The solvent on its own would be good for cleaning using a brush but with iso propyl alcohol the fumes are noxious and inhalation is not recommended.

Here's an inexpensive example of a cleaning bath that is available today;
[url="http://www.lakeland.co.uk/25650/Ultrasonic-Jewellery-Cleaner?src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!{creative}!e!{placement}!o!{adwords_producttargetid}!&ef_id=WPhKmwAABF7HOq-e:20170420054355:s"]http://www.lakeland....0170420054355:s[/url]
[attachment=243443:UltrasoundBath.png]

Am I the only one who uses one of these?

I use methylated spirits to clean my strings. First, I put some plastic wrapping under the strings to protect the fretboard. Then I moisten some cotton wool with the spirits and clean the strings. I'd never use anything water based, as no matter how much you dry the strings, some moisture will remain.

Washing your hands before touching the bass will lessen the frequency for the above procedure.

I used to clean the strings. I used to boil them, clean them with alcohol, soak them etc.
The amount of time spent on cleaning is too tedious.
I like pkaying my aged flats now that I wipe down with microfiber cloth when they get sweaty.
I barely use my jazz with roundwounds so no more cleaning.

I've tried ultrasonic cleaners, they work well but check this hazard warning if using IPA. Ultrasonic cleaners produce significant emission of vapours (they are used as humidifyers)

[url="http://www.tovatech.com/blog/3953/ultrasonic-cleaner/how-to-safely-use-ipa-in-an-ultrasonic-cleaner"]http://www.tovatech....rasonic-cleaner[/url]

Maplin also do a cheap one.

Avoid using 'washing up liquid" it may contain salt, as a thickening agent.

I use flats, so don't usually bother.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1492676950' post='3282147']
I use finger sweat. Occasionally I'll grab the string between my fingers & wipe or rub with the butt of the palm of my hand if needed.
Oh, I use flatwound strings. :D
[/quote]

Two of my three guitars are now wearing flats. During my "crusty" phase, I considered swiping them down my very own bass cleft just to get rid of the worst of the foreign matter build up.

(Not really)

Seriously though. There is a vast difference between the expectations of a roundwound user and the likes of you and me. It seems to be a characteristic of Rotosounds in particular that the desired sound of the string lasts for a relatively short time.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1492678400' post='3282167']
I've tried ultrasonic cleaners, they work well but check this hazard warning if using IPA. Ultrasonic cleaners produce significant emission of vapours (they are used as humidifyers)

[url="http://www.tovatech.com/blog/3953/ultrasonic-cleaner/how-to-safely-use-ipa-in-an-ultrasonic-cleaner"]http://www.tovatech....rasonic-cleaner[/url]

[/quote]

This can't be overstated. Good point.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492679023' post='3282179']
Quick wipe over with a bar towel between songs, that's all I bother with. Rounds or flats, they last for ages, they get replaced when they are worn by the frets rather than because they're grubby.
[/quote]

One day I hope to play bar venues. It is my dream that I will pull enough punters to be able to demand a bar towel that is soaked in [s]the finest vodka[/s] solvent just to clean my strings, oh, and to freshen my gums but that's wholly incidental.

I use an alcohol based string cleaner after each gig or rehearsal where the strings can be sticky with sweat then dry with a microfiber cloth. Hair product also gets in there too and make the strings feel sticky. I use fast fret before playing to make sure the strings don't feel rough. I do this for both flat and round wounds.
I don't take the strings off to clean them, never really had the need. I have been told recently by a luthier they don't go back up to correct tension when back on the bass... Sure lots of people do this anyway...

By replacing them with new ones.

Many years ago when I had almost no money I did experiment with cleaning strings. I found the process was long and laborious, the results were disappointing, and at least one string would break on the second attempt to clean them.

These days I've found that Warwick Red Label string suit my main basses. They are relatively cheap by bass string standards, so I don't feel any need to waste my time and effort in order to try and make the strings last another couple of weeks.

Edited by BigRedX

I usually change strings rather than cleaning them but i've done it when i find myself between ordering a new batch of string sets.

My cleaning method is a bit unorthodox as i don't like to boil the strings due to the big rise in temperature or soak them in solvents that need to be stored and release vapors. I use kitchen supplies to clean them, i soak the strings with a few squirts of heavy-duty kitchen oven grease cleaner and leave it to act for 5 min, then i rinse them under running cold water while i wipe them with an old kitchen sponge. I dry them with a clean cloth and leave them in the sun for another 10 min to completely dry.

I find this method very effortless and the end result is great and can last for another couple of gigs with the new string zing while the new strings arrive.

BTW, this is the degreaser i use:

I have to admit that I never clean strings, I use D'addario nickel strings and they last me at least six months because I prefer them once have they lost that zingyness, and I usually buy three sets at a time so it works out about £18 for six months use, which is not bad imo. :)

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1492681148' post='3282207']
I use an alcohol based string cleaner after each gig or rehearsal where the strings can be sticky with sweat then dry with a microfiber cloth. Hair product also gets in there too and make the strings feel sticky. I use fast fret before playing to make sure the strings don't feel rough. I do this for both flat and round wounds.
I don't take the strings off to clean them, never really had the need. I have been told recently by a luthier they don't go back up to correct tension when back on the bass... Sure lots of people do this anyway...
[/quote]

That's interesting. You actually put stuff on the strings and so guarantee your strings are cleaned each session. I'd heard briefly about Fast Fret but passed over it.

Is it like silicon polish or summat? I wont ask about the hair product I but can imagine how it could easily happen in some scenarios.

I dont clean my strings. I always wipe them (and the bass) down after playing. But I change all the strings on my basses every 3 months whether they need it or not.
I do use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies however, and they are not too expensive. :)

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1492683468' post='3282245']
Cleaning strings? Whatever next.

Played my bass outside on a ship in the blistering heat and humidity all over the world over the last few years. Still going strong. Sounding more badass each gig.
[/quote]

Bad as what?

I always wash my hands before playing, used to wipe the strings down after each gig, used Fast Fret etc and got no more life from the strings than if I just put the bass back in the gig-bag after playing. So that`s what I do, and just replace the strings on a monthly basis. I only use one bass with the band, so that`s gigs and rehearsals, nothing else.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1492680763' post='3282202']

One day I hope to play bar venues. It is my dream that I will pull enough punters to be able to demand a bar towel that is soaked in [s]the finest vodka[/s] solvent just to clean my strings, oh, and to freshen my gums but that's wholly incidental.
[/quote]
Not sure they even do bar towels anymore, don't they all use the plastic trays? I have a well worn calling black label bar towel that was liberated way back in the depths of time and for many years acted as a breach cover for my rifles when shooting in the rain. It now lives in my 'music sundry' bag and serves the purpose of general wipe down cloth well. It's had years of gun oil on it but I did wash it first.