Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP7SM 250 Watt Bass Combo

Bass_Guardian

I haven't had that model but I have several other TE amps/combos which perform brilliantly. There is a reason why there are so many around - because they do everything you ask them to. Having said that they are heavy compared to newer gear - around the 25-30kg mark - if you going to move it, have somebody who doesn't mind lifting heavy things with you.

I'm led to believe that they're relatively easy to service - anybody who's used to dealing with valves should have no trouble - last one I had serviced cost me £45 IIRC.

You can pick up a decent TE combo for around £150-200 - I've got 2x 300w models for sale here for £150 each.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1492695035' post='3282426']
I haven't had that model but I have several other TE amps/combos which perform brilliantly. There is a reason why there are so many around - because they do everything you ask them to. Having said that they are heavy compared to newer gear - around the 25-30kg mark - if you going to move it, have somebody who doesn't mind lifting heavy things with you.

I'm led to believe that they're relatively easy to service - anybody who's used to dealing with valves should have no trouble - last one I had serviced cost me £45 IIRC.

You can pick up a decent TE combo for around £150-200 - I've got 2x 300w models for sale here for £150 each.
[/quote]

Ooh interesting. I do have a Trace Elliot Commando 15 which is a ton weight but manageable for me. Was looking to maybe upgrade from mine.

I had a very similar 7 band smx version. 1x15. 300w version.

Was the loudest 200w at 8ohm combo I've heard. When paired with another 1x15 to get the full 300w it was the loudest 300w I've ever heard. At the time I had or recently had a few 500w heads which were not as loud imo. Abm evo 3 500w. Aguilar ag 500. And some other 500w head I can't remember.

The fan was noisy and it blown enough cold air out the front that it annoyed me.
I didn't actually like the tone either. Although I heard others sound great through it.
Was very reliable.
Was very heavy.
One of the few combos I've owned that didn't have some sort of odd rattling etc.
Wish I never sold it tbh!

If its in good working order buy it. I'm sure these are going to be future classics especially if you can find one in good cosmetic condition.

Price wise £100-150 if tatty. £150 - 250 if in better or mint condition.
Mine was in average condition I paid £150.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1492698992' post='3282480']
I had a very similar 7 band smx version. 1x15. 300w version.

Was the loudest 200w at 8ohm combo I've heard. When paired with another 1x15 to get the full 300w it was the loudest 300w I've ever heard. At the time I had or recently had a few 500w heads which were not as loud imo. Abm evo 3 500w. Aguilar ag 500. And some other 500w head I can't remember.

The fan was noisy and it blown enough cold air out the front that it annoyed me.
I didn't actually like the tone either. Although I heard others sound great through it.
Was very reliable.
Was very heavy.
One of the few combos I've owned that didn't have some sort of odd rattling etc.
Wish I never sold it tbh!

If its in good working order buy it. I'm sure these are going to be future classics especially if you can find one in good cosmetic condition.

Price wise £100-150 if tatty. £150 - 250 if in better or mint condition.
Mine was in average condition I paid £150.
[/quote]

Thanks Twincam for the advice. It's up for £175 and seems not bad nick. Has a cover too which is a bonus.

I have just bought one of these in 250w form off here. It's heavy but the side handles make it manageable. But you forgive it the second you turn it on. It's LOUD for sure but it's the tone that gets you. I read a lot about how nothing matches the TE tone and I now know what they mean. I spent last night just noodling favourite stuff to just enjoy the sound. Mine was up at £150 so the price on yours isn't crazy. I would buy another tomorrow without a doubt or second thought.

• Like 1

Those TE combos are heavy, but the amount of volume on tap is unreal. In my old band the other bassist - yes there were 2 of us - had something like a 150watt TE combo and it was deafeningly loud without bein pushed.

• 1 year later...