Why become a member? ×

Turner Violins

petebassist

As I'm looking to uprgrade my Stentor gigging bass, I dropped into Turner Violins today in Nottingham to look at a couple of basses. I rarely get the opportunity to visit somewhere like this that has a large number of instruments, and since learning upright bass I've only played one or two others in retail shops.
Even though my budget wasn't huge compared to the cost of most of the orchestral level instruments that they have there, I was made to feel very welcome by the staff, who were friendly & professional. I tried a Michael Poller, a Gewa, and a couple of more expensive fully carved older basses. The bass I eventually decided was for me was slightly outside of my budget at the moment, so needs a bit more thought (AKA selling off everything I can get my hands on to raise cash), but it was great to try out different basses, so I hope to get back there soon. Cheers, Pete

• 1 month later...

Bargain with them. Everything they sell has a rather large markup and there is a certain "flexibility" in the labelled price, within which they can still make a tidy profit ;¬). Helps (maybe) if you have something to trade, then they can pretend they are giving you more for your bass rather than dropping their prices.