Why become a member? ×

Opinions please on a Sterling SUB 5 string bass

Rocker

Looked at one in a shop recently. Shop willing to negotiate if I wanted to trade in an electric guitar! The bass seems to be well made, did not get a chance to plug it in but it felt good in my hands. The online reviews are mainly positive. Anyone here with any experiences of this bass. Thanks.

You are referring to the Sterling by Musicman SUB 5 or the Musicman Sterling SUB 5?

The first one is pretty great bass. Very good finishes and not so great electronics. A bit noisy pre and a very (extremely) hot output Pickup (i screwed mine down to almost bellow the pickguard.

It has a pretty close Stingray Sound and a very great bass for that price. (bought mine for 220 quid or so second-hand)

If its the second one (i know the Ray had a SUB version.... Dunno about the Sterling), well it must be MIA with lesser paint options as the not-SUB one (no high-gloss, the "made in st. louis..." is a sticker instead of painted, etc)