Why become a member? ×

How long to learn a new track

lowdowner

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1492799178' post='3283374']
Such as these..? :lol: :P

The word you were looking for is, I believe, 'segue'. A common enough mix-up, but always good for a quick chortle. :D
[/quote]

If I'm honest, I have no clue. I'm sat here, over tired with baby puke drying on my trousers. I'm not sure even what day it is; I've have been entertaining family and a very demanding youngster for the duration. Frankly, I am surprised I managed to get this far.

I think it depends how you learn too. If you have good ears and know a bit of chord theory then working the basics out only takes a few minutes, for straight forward pop tunes anyway.
Another reason the numbers system is so useful, is that many people can play parts brilliantly in the original key; but only in that key!

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1492717969' post='3282720']
Looking at some new dots today (see http://basslessons.be/transcriptions.php?i=94 for a current example) and it started me wondering how long it took people to learn a new track in readiness for performance?

I realise this depends on the complexity of the track but in the case of Doobie Brothers "Long Train Runnin'" what do you reckon? 2 hours of effort, 8? 16?

Is this a 'how long is a piece of string?' question?
[/quote]this feels like taking my clothes off in public but if like me you are an 'intermediate' player you'll be very depressed by some of these answers, it takes me longer than this and from some of the conversations I have with other bassists and gigging bands I'm not totally alone in this. To give some context I've been involved in three start up bands and I'd reckon to learn three or four songs a week depending upon complexity spending about two or three hours most evenings working on them. They'll be all I listen to in the car whilst I'm learning them and I'll use every cheat I can (You Tube, tab,etc.) to get there. Like all the pro's here I won't gig unless I'm 100%. In all I've found it takes about twelve weeks to get a two hour set together from scratch.

The other thing no one has mentioned is genre. So far I've played modern pop, indie, 70's Rock, glam rock, 80's rock, each tends to have its own little tricks and it can take a while to get your head round new stylistic things. That slows you down, or maybe it's just me :)

Apart from that the pattern is pretty much what other people describe, breaking it down into parts, concentrating on structure and listen listen listen. No song has beaten me yet but I've taken a month to learn the more stretching ones and as soon as you get quicker at learning you inevitably end up being given something even more challenging to learn.

I spend about 20/30 minutes a day playing through a Spotify playlist of songs I don't know. I try to use the same playlist for a week. Day one, I play through the song with chords up on my iPad and I aim to be able to play through the playlist fully, allowing for getting my ear in for the first verse (and chorus). After this, I then stop looking at the prompts for chords and rely on my ear to guide me. Day two, repeat the process but as I have more familiarity, expect to be able to pick it up within the first 8-16 bars and remember what had been played the day before. Day three, I usually have the initial structure memorised and then concentrate on the groove elements and putting a bit of personality into it. If the band have any links or specific ideas to them, I get those locked in at this point too. Day four, adding any fills or embellishments I think would work and having a bit of trial and error, keeping the good bits. Day five, either treating it like a gig or actually playing it at a gig (if the process is for a dep gig).

I think because I do this regularly, it's improved my memory and ear to the point I can usually learn a dep set of up to 2 x 45 mins in about 2/3 days at a decent level. Maybe a day more if they have specific structures or links, pushes or other bits that need adding in. It's good practice if you get thrown in at the deep end in a jam etc too!

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1492850182' post='3283604']
this feels like taking my clothes off in public but if like me you are an 'intermediate' player you'll be very depressed by some of these answers, it takes me longer than this and from some of the conversations I have with other bassists and gigging bands I'm not totally alone in this. To give some context I've been involved in three start up bands and I'd reckon to learn three or four songs a week depending upon complexity spending about two or three hours most evenings working on them. They'll be all I listen to in the car whilst I'm learning them and I'll use every cheat I can (You Tube, tab,etc.) to get there. Like all the pro's here I won't gig unless I'm 100%. In all I've found it takes about twelve weeks to get a two hour set together from scratch.

The other thing no one has mentioned is genre. So far I've played modern pop, indie, 70's Rock, glam rock, 80's rock, each tends to have its own little tricks and it can take a while to get your head round new stylistic things. That slows you down, or maybe it's just me :)

Apart from that the pattern is pretty much what other people describe, breaking it down into parts, concentrating on structure and listen listen listen. No song has beaten me yet but I've taken a month to learn the more stretching ones and as soon as you get quicker at learning you inevitably end up being given something even more challenging to learn.
[/quote]

+1. You are not alone.....

Edited by phil.c60