Why become a member? ×

Crooked Squier VM Precision V string tree?

lownote

The string tree on my newly acquired VMP appears to be wonky, higher under the E string than under the D by a good margin. Plus the screws are in at angle looked at down the length of the bass. Can you do me a favour? If you have one of these basses can you tell me if yours is the same. If yours is parallel to the headstock surface can you tell me what height the underside of the string tree bar is above the wood of the headstock. Thx.

Edited by lownote12

I have one of these. The string tree on mine is paralelle to the headstock (flat across the 3 strings). If I look down the neck it appears "wonky" due to the slight curve in across the fret board but it isn't.
The previous owner of mine had already replaced the bridge and upgraded the jack and pots and the string tree is the only thing that bugs me about the guitar. I don't like the look of it and it looks flimsey. I am thinking of removing it. I reckon that the E should be fine without it and I could put on a button type to hold the A and D.
I am very impressed with it. It has cured my GAS for a USA one

Edited by Pinball

Thanks guys. I wonder if it isn't intentional. Looking down the bass from the top end, the 'pissed' string tree is only wonky relative to the headstock, it's actually tangental to the sharp curvature of the fingerboard, given that it takes the higher 4 strings only. See pic. If it also took the B string then it would have to be parallel to the headstock. I think I answered my own question.

Basses - endless fun for all the family.

It looks to me like the string-tree is doing its job, at a technical level: Given that it's only there to make sure you have a break angle over the nut.

From an aesthetic point, it's a bodge. I would expect the screws to have a spacer under them hiding the thread and ensuring the space is uniform. If it were mine I'd be on the look out for some kind of block or tube to fit in there.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1492924081' post='3284095']
the tree might be angled, but I bet the bottom of those strings at the tree are level hehe
[/quote]
I don't think so. It's more like it's simply screwed down to the point it simply does a job of improving the break-angle.

Apologies to th OP, but we are looking at a budget mass production bass. It's not like there's any precision engineering about this. Mass production products are designed to give a finished product, shaving pennies off wherever possible.

If I were the OP I would find some springs to fit on the screws, slacken the strings and tension the screws to make it level.
If it really bothers, then buy a better made bass.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1492930140' post='3284107']
Nah, Fodera, Fender et al are just overpriced Squier clones. Me and a few other cogniscenti are sticking with the quality :)
[/quote]
Last night I saw a really good band at "Studio 5" at the National Palace of Culture, Sofia. They were good, the tone was great and went down well. Of the 4 guitars on stage, I doubt anything on stage other than the keys would sell for more than £100.

Keep enjoying the bass. :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1492927030' post='3284097']
I don't think so. It's more like it's simply screwed down to the point it simply does a job of improving the break-angle.

Apologies to th OP, but we are looking at a budget mass production bass. It's not like there's any precision engineering about this. Mass production products are designed to give a finished product, shaving pennies off wherever possible.

If I were the OP I would find some springs to fit on the screws, slacken the strings and tension the screws to make it level.
If it really bothers, then buy a better made bass.
[/quote]

That sounds a little harsh... there are better made masses, but I wouldn't say the Squier VM is not well made based on the string retainer not being parallel.

The string retainer has a very simple objective: to push the strings down below the nut slot level, so that the strings do not rattle in the slot. It's a simple way to ensure peace of mind: you can achieve enough break angle in most cases by carefully winding the strings downwards on the tuning post... but a string retainer helps a lot, and on the "far away" strings (D/G) it's almost the only way to ensure it. The string retainer on the OP's bass does what it has to do. If it doesn't appeal aesthetically then just screw in one end further if it's not excessive, or unscrew the other (possibly adding some toothpick wood/glue to the hole to make sure the screw bites well)... simple.

The VM is not top level build, but it's not something to scoff at either.