Why become a member? ×

Compressor

Big Uli

I have been looking online for a Behringer DC9 and can not find one
I like the Behringer range. Cost effective and does what more expensive pedals do. Just right for my budget and skill level

So are there any other cost effective compressors out there that could be recommended?
Something simple with a couple of knobs to fiddle with.

My only complaint about my SF300 abd BOD 400 is there are too many knobs to mess around with. Took me a while to get it right for just the one bass

Edited by Big Uli

The TC Electronic SpectraComp must be one of the most advanced compressor pedals on the market today for us bass players but with only one knob it has got to be the simplest to operate.

I'd highly recommend this one if you want simple. With a very easy to use app later on, you can also mimic the operation of all the well known compressors with this pedal and still have only one knob to worry about on stage.

[quote name='VitalyGanja' timestamp='1492868582' post='3283786']
What price range?
[/quote]

A 5 second google search suggests around £80-£85 which is an utter bargain for its capability.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492768907' post='3283017']
The TC Electronic SpectraComp must be one of the most advanced compressor pedals on the market today for us bass players but with only one knob it has got to be the simplest to operate.

I'd highly recommend this one if you want simple. With a very easy to use app later on, you can also mimic the operation of all the well known compressors with this pedal and still have only one knob to worry about on stage.
[/quote]

I liked the Spectracomp, although I did not like 1 pretty key thing..... it was pretty noisy certainly compared to my Keeley. Do others find the same?

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1492888339' post='3283974']
I liked the Spectracomp, although I did not like 1 pretty key thing..... it was pretty noisy certainly compared to my Keeley. Do others find the same?
[/quote]

The only time I have found it noisy I have to say is when I have cranked the make up gain. Simply because the SC has way more gain on tap than pretty much any other compressor I have ever tried. I think the thing with triple band compression, due to the way it works, it's more transparent than other full-band compressors for example. Thus, if you want the multi band setting to sound squishy, you'd need 'more compression' overall, then maybe push the make-up gain more to get the volume back up again.

So, to sum up, for squishy hard compression effects, go for a full band compressor, for invisible 'mastering' of your bass tone, go for subtle triple band compression. :)

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1492888339' post='3283974']
[/quote]

No, I've never experienced any noise with mine.

I tend to switch between the Fed Comp and Muscle Comp tone prints depending on what type of compression I'm looking for (Fed is ultra transparent whereas Muscle adds loads of punch and presence) usually with the Spectracomp control knob at about 9 to 10 o'clock ish. I've tried most of the other tone prints too (other than the slap specific ones as I'm not an old slapper ;)[size=4] ) and other than noticeable volume differences between some of them, they have all have been very quiet. [/size]