Why become a member? ×

Barefaced SC or Two10 with Darkglass M900 ?

sifi2112

Hi all,

Recently bought a Darkglass M900 and am looking at pairing it with either a BF Super Compact or Two10, anyone using these setups ?

Or any other single cab solution ... I play heavy rock / metal on 4 string standard & drop D btw

Thanks for any opinions etc as per usual BCers :)

Si

Depends how loud you need to go and what kind of dispersion etc you need, but I play rock and the supertwin rules, my friend who is not a rock bassist but has a DG amp and a supertwin also raves about it for all the stimulant he does.

Best thing to do is to chat to the guys at BArefaced, they'll ask you lots of stuff about your set up, goals, sound, venues etc. Then give you an answer

If you're not tied to Barefaced look at other options by Bergantino/Vanderkley. As a one cab solution I am loving the Bergantino NV115. Having the mid range driver instead of a tweeter makes a huge difference in usability when driven hard for me.

For reference, I have had Barefaced SC/Midget, Vanderkley and Berg 112s and a Bergantino CN212. The CN212 was great too, but overkill for what I needed. The Nv115, bizzarely for a sealed cab, seems to have more lows too.

BTW this is with the M900 too, 4/5 string tuned down half a step.

Edited by Kev

Thanks all & esp Kev coz I always fancied one of those sealed Bergs, I'm guessing it's loud enough with the M900 on 4 Ohm mode ? I'm not used to cabs producing much low end so a sealed cab might also be worth a look :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Kev & Dood for their great feedback :)

Haven't heard of anyone using the M900 with the Two10 as yet ..?

Also noticed 'bearfist' selling both his DG M900 & BF BTII ..:( ? I would have thought that a match made in heaven ?!

So any more thoughts etc most welcome as I'm still undecided (and saving lol)

cheers

Simon

Edited by sifi2112

Yup there have been a couple of M900s appearing in the FS section recently, which is a little surprising given the rave reviews they seem to have had and so soon after release? Perhaps not quite the amp head folk were expecting?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1492794934' post='3283327']
As a one cab solution I am loving the Bergantino NV115.

For reference, I have had Barefaced SC/Midget, Vanderkley and Berg 112s and a Bergantino CN212.
[/quote]

Kev - if you get a mo, it would be really great to hear your A/B thoughts (perhaps on a separate thread) on the 6 cabs you've mentioned above (maybe including price comparison and power handling so we're comparing like with like?)...they do seem to be some of the very best out there.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1493849940' post='3291358']
Yup there have been a couple of M900s appearing in the FS section recently, which is a little surprising given the rave reviews they seem to have had and so soon after release? Perhaps not quite the amp head folk were expecting?
[/quote]

I wouldn't jump too quickly to that conclusion. Mine was one of them. The head was everything I expected, and quite a bit more. I've been pretty critical of Darkglass pedals in the past (and have had folks claim that if I didn't like them I wasn't using them right... Ahem...).

But alas my ears are shagged. My hearing drops like a stone above 3khz, I have constant tinnitus ("Screech!" at about 7.7khz) and 2 weeks after buying the amp I got a nasty inner ear infection and further (hopefully temporary) hearing loss in my left ear. That's made me re-evaluate a few things.

So in-ears it is. I may have a Darkglass Vintage Ultra in my immediate future, although it not having the tone control in the drive section might be an issue for me given my previous experience. I'm hoping Doug revises the Ultra series with the tone control added. I can live without all the switches. That control is the master stroke on the M900. Such an awesome amp...

For similar reasons I'll probably be parting with my recently reacquired Two10 as well at some point. I'll keep the Ashdowns for the punters and bandmates who can't tell the difference...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1493848142' post='3291329']
Also noticed 'bearfist' selling both his DG M900 & BF BTII .. :( ? I would have thought that a match made in heaven ?!

So any more thoughts etc most welcome as I'm still undecided (and saving lol)

cheers

Simon

[/quote]
[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1493849940' post='3291358']
Yup there have been a couple of M900s appearing in the FS section recently, which is a little surprising given the rave reviews they seem to have had and so soon after release? Perhaps not quite the amp head folk were expecting?[/quote]

Dont read to much into it from me at least, my moving them on isn't a reflection of either item being disappointing. With the M900 it's more to do with the Mesa being for me at least an unbelievable amp, to a certain extent i expected this would happen (going back to the Mesa after trying the M900 for a while) The Darkglass is fantastic and deserves the reviews its getting but if i had one criticism it would be the clean channel is a bit dull or maybe transparent is a better word but that's kind of the point of it, this amp is all about the 2 distortion circuits, the thing is i'm not using them now as the New Darkglass pedal is pretty much my perfect dirt so i may as well go back to the best small amp ive ever used and get pretty much my perfect base tone to build on, thats all.

The Big Twin's also killer and yes it sounds amazing with the Darkglass as i would imagine any of the 12 inch driver line from Barefaced would but im just curious about the !0 inch stuff they do and wouldn't mind being modular for convenience.

Ive never really been a fan of really 'transparent' gear, i like a bit of colour from my stuff, its part of the fun for me building a rig that all the parts add something and compliment each other rather than just making me louder. i like that that Cali76 adds something to my tone for example, theres a tone of comps that can do the job of a compressor but if i'm paying £300 plus for one i sure as hell want it to do something to my tone and thats kind of the motivation behind the cab change, i like the idea of the Barefaced Retro line adding a little something to the party.

For What its worth i reckon the Two 10 will sound killer with the M900, if i was keeping it i would definitely be getting a couple or looking at the Four 10 or even the Six 10 if i was sticking with a big single cab.