Why become a member? ×

2017; a good year for gear?

NancyJohnson

2016 was a bit of a wilderness in the purchase department, I suppose I was happy for the first time ever although my work situation (redundandancy in September) had a detrimental effect on things.

Early two month back, I landed a great job (with a decent package) and I'm excitedly compiling a short list of things to watch out for. While the Tech21 Geddy Lee Sansamp tops that list, I'm also really interested in the Epiphone Classic Thunderbird (blaaaack!), am making some enquires about another Lull and, once I can get my Hartke stuff sold, I'll get another Barefaced. I'm also looking to get LEDs installed on my current Lull.

2017, I think, will prove a bit cathartic, once new gear starts dropping it'll be some gear out, some new gear in. I've got a ton of stuff I rarely touch now.

[Edit: for the record, the Epiphone is one of these, not any of the current models.]

Edited by NancyJohnson

I`ve massively over-spent recently, so am now having a clear-out. It happens every now & then, usually when I`m feeling knackered/down, retail therapy kicks in to make me feel better. The only thing I want now is another 2012-16 Fender Precision, but has to be white/maple. Am just trying to resist a wanted ad at moment, as I really don`t need one, just want one, and this series is my fave ever.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1492770099' post='3283035']
I`ve massively over-spent recently, so am now having a clear-out.
[/quote]

I'm in exactly the same boat (since February I've bought a 2nd ACG, an Orange Terror Bass, a Darkglass M900 and rebought my Barefaced Two10)... Having said that I've never been happier with my gear!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1492769355' post='3283024']
2016 was a bit of a wilderness in the purchase department, I suppose I was happy for the first time ever although my work situation (redundandancy in September) had a detrimental effect on things.

Early two month back, I landed a great job (with a decent package) and I'm excitedly compiling a short list of things to watch out for. While the Tech21 Geddy Lee Sansamp tops that list, I'm also really interested in the Epiphone Classic Thunderbird (blaaaack!), am making some enquires about another Lull and, once I can get my Hartke stuff sold, I'll get another Barefaced. I'm also looking to get LEDs installed on my current Lull.

2017, I think, will prove a bit cathartic, once new gear starts dropping it'll be some gear out, some new gear in. I've got a ton of stuff I rarely touch now.
[/quote]

I hope you truely want an Epiphone Thunderbird and not a Gibson Thunderbird.

IMO these are two very different bass guitars. I've owned both.

Many make the mistake of thinking the Epiphone Thunderbird is an affordable less expensive Gibson Thunderbird. It's not, it"s an Epiphone Thunderbird.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1492784978' post='3283232']

Many make the mistake of thinking the Epiphone Thunderbird is an affordable less expensive Gibson Thunderbird. It's not, it"s an Epiphone Thunderbird.

Blue
[/quote]

I've got three Gibsons...the one on my radar is the 60s reissue model. Two part bridge, chrome, not one of the current ones.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1492784978' post='3283232']

Blue
[/quote]

Are they really that different? I tried an Epiphone last year and truely hated it, I don't tend to sell many basses yet got shot of that as quick as I could, I didn't mind the sound but the bass just felt huge and unwieldy I would imagine the Gibson must feel the same?

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1492796313' post='3283340']

Are they really that different? I tried an Epiphone last year and truely hated it, I don't tend to sell many basses yet got shot of that as quick as I could, I didn't mind the sound but the bass just felt huge and unwieldy I would imagine the Gibson must feel the same?
[/quote]

To me there's a huge difference. The neck and the sound of my Epiphone was not what I was looking for.

When I traded up to my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird with ebony fretboard, I had the quality and sound I was looking for.

I know have the kick ass bass I fell in love with back in the early 70s but couldn't afford at the time.

Before someone brings it up,I don't believe in neck dive. I've never experienced it and never have understood what anyone was talking about when it has been pointed out as an issue.

I'm sure the Epi Birds are fine but they are not the same instrument as the Gibson IMO.

Blue

Whenever I get some money saved, something happens. Last month hI had a decent wad saved. I changed energy suppliers, then I found out I was £320 in arrears. Then the car need £300 spent on it, then remembered the water rates were due. Something always seems to happen when I have a bit of cash saved. I really want a D`Angelico EX bass, but it is always out of reach

I think I've got over gas. i have bought and sold a lot of stuff over the last few years and I have to admit to myself that I have everything i need. I have an excellent amp and cab, I have a great playing and sounding Jazz Bass, with a J retro fitted (which makes it incredibly versatile), i have a P bass as a spare and I can't think of anything I need or want..

It's quite sad really.

I try to make one major purchase a year, around January, when I'm most flush.

This year it was a P Bass Deluxe Special.

Next year I'm thinking either a fretless, or maybe it's time to make the step up to a five or sixer?

Edited by Cato

[b] 2017; a good year for gear?[/b]

Yes indeed. I've been methodically ridding myself of anything more than a decade or so old and fully expect to continue that trend. I'm soon going to be down to one fretless, one mostly expendable EUB just in case I get a few sub calls for jazz stuff, and one recently acquired 5 string fretted bass just as a test case. Then one cab, and a few different homemade amps. Nothing from the past that I'd ever want to revisit, and I've finally worked out a way to offload my older DIY builds so I can make some new and better ones. My main bloat control mechanism is that if I want it I pretty much have to build it from here on out.

Edit: should also mention that I went to NAMM this year and the only GAS I developed at all was for a hypothetical bass from the luthier I went with. And lo and behold, a couple of months later I happened to see something in his shop that was up for grabs and that he was happy to trade for some of my DIY amp gear.

Edited by Passinwind

I decided I definitely wouldn't buy any more gear this year. So far, I have failed to the extent of re-buying my 2015 Jazz Bass, buying a Jack Casady bass, and today I splashed out on a new ABM 600. I'm pretty sure there's more, but I can't remember what just now!

Bloody resolutions!

2016 started with a new band doing different style of music from my normal. More laid back but great fun to play.
Bought an Orange OBC115.
My Ampeg SVT4 packed in completely.

2017 Like Cato i bought a Precision Deluxe.
Orange OBC2x10 mini.
Yamaha P7000S power amp for PA when Peavey transformer packed in and unrepairable.
Ampeg SVT now in for repair

Nothing on the horizon or urgent but i did fancy the Sansamp and Power amp set up but once Ampeg SVT4 repaired it should do same job.

Dave

Nancy Johnston..... You're after the new Epi Tbird announced for later this year?.... which does look promising if I may be so bold to step in.

I'm kinda gas free for basses. Got a really, really great 5'er I use for one of my busy gigs and 4 string for my other busy gig (but really just because I really like it and the 5'er would be plenty). The only thing I really want to try is a couple of pedals - waiting on the Origin Effects overdrive/drive pedal. I always like to switch amps every wee while just for fun but realise that this is simply folly. Got a few things I wish to shift amp wise and just nab one head (which I've tried before) and more than likely going to in ears anyway for the bulk of my 'work'.

I had an opportunity to get some 'must try' gear but that feeling has passed, no matter how good it is, and want to settle on one amp, with my 212 and 5'er (or 4 string P bass).

;)

Edited by krispn

I didn't buy anything in 2016!

hang on I did - i bought a Fender CE300 Acoustic bass....that's not gear though really is it?

- I did order something though....and got told today that it, at long last, is expected to land in the country next week...an EBMM USA Sterling 4HH RW Black with MH....oh and a custom 4ply green pearl pickguard....

After that I suspect the coffers will be empty for a while.

Only one purchase this year. Picked up a Trace Elliot AH350SMX as I missed the sound I got from my old AH400. My Aguilar AG500 has now been relegated to a backup role but I have no intention of selling it as it does give me the option of another sound.
I don't have any more purchases planned for this year although if a Darkglass b3k were to come up for a bargain price I might find myself tempted.

Nothing yet really so far, sold a couple of pedals and bought a used Zoom R16.
I also have a Wal on order that might be ready 2017, got gas for things but no spare dosh as I'm still saving for the Wal.
Might do trades on some of the stuff I already own.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1492860143' post='3283695']
Nothing yet really so far, sold a couple of pedals and bought a used Zoom R16.
I also have a Wal on order that might be ready 2017, got gas for things but no spare dosh as I'm still saving for the Wal.
Might do trades on some of the stuff I already own.
[/quote]

WAL bass is enough for most. :lol:
4, 5 or 6 stringer ???

Gorgeous basses. Pics when you get it

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1492860435' post='3283698']
WAL bass is enough for most. :lol:
4, 5 or 6 stringer ???

Gorgeous basses. Pics when you get it

Dave
[/quote]
Thanks Dave, I hope it will be worth the wait.
Fairly standard MK1 4 stringer, going for a matching headstock just to give it a little of my own custom.