Why become a member? ×

Take care when choosing a venue for a band meeting

Stylon Pilson

My band is in dire need of a meeting to discuss various aspects concerning this, that and the other. A few weeks back we co-ordinated diaries and agreed this evening would be suitable, and decided to do it over a nice meal.

However, and I really hope I'm wrong about this, I think that the guitarist may have invited his girlfriend too. In which case, that probably puts to rest any chance of having any productive discussion, and means it's just going to end up being a band social instead, and all those issues that are threatening to tear the band apart will continue to remain unresolved.

Lesson learned - next time, plan the band meeting for somewhere as uncomfortable and hostile as possible.

S.P.

I would have thought that as you're discussing issues that are "threatening to tear the band apart" a nice meal in a restaurant is not an ideal situation anyway. If it all gets heated and goes 🍐 shaped just before the main course arrives, that's going to feel like a very long and uncomfortable evening.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1492798069' post='3283357']

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just had to laugh at that but on the other hand if you all hit on her he won't invite her back the next time :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

This time next week there will be another "I quit my band thread"

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1492791215' post='3283294']
I think that the guitarist may have invited his girlfriend too...
[/quote]

If she comes along, find out when they'll next be having a 'big chat' and ask if you can eat carbonara and maybe sup "something a bit special"* from the wine list whilst they do...

*You deserve it.

Edited by ahpook

Two things come into my mind.
Firstly, wanting to avoid the things needing discussion he's invited her to try and scupper it.
Alternatively, partners of either sex can get jealous and suspicious. Because it's a non-musical social event maybe he wasn't allowed to come without her.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1492799545' post='3283382']
Two things come into my mind.
Firstly, wanting to avoid the things needing discussion he's invited her to try and scupper it.
Alternatively, partners of either sex can get jealous and suspicious. Because it's a non-musical social event maybe he wasn't allowed to come without her.
[/quote]

A bassist in a band I replaced years ago was not trusted by his wife, he had to set up then wait in the car with her, then play the first set, wait in the car during the break, second set, pack up and go home at every gig! She didn't come in and watch them and some gigs would be private functions anyway, bonkers she was!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1492800290' post='3283390']
A bassist in a band I replaced years ago was not trusted by his wife, he had to set up then wait in the car with her, then play the first set, wait in the car during the break, second set, pack up and go home at every gig! She didn't come in and watch them and some gigs would be private functions anyway, bonkers she was!
[/quote]

Are you sure it was HER that was bonkers :P ?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1492847089' post='3283567']
They both were to be honest, I think they had both messed around with other people but her more than him, she also liked a drop of wine.......for breakfast, dinner and tea! :o
[/quote]

Nowt wrong wie corn flakes with Buckfast for breakfast. :shok: :biggrin:
Maybe its just a Scottish thing tho. :laugh1:

Dave

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1492795151' post='3283329']
I would have thought that as you're discussing issues that are "threatening to tear the band apart" a nice meal in a restaurant is not an ideal situation anyway. If it all gets heated and goes 🍐 shaped just before the main course arrives, that's going to feel like a very long and uncomfortable evening.
[/quote]

Agree with this. A "nice meal" not an ideal setting in which to talk business, especially if there are contentious issues to sort out. Partners a definite no-no, in my experience. Perhaps the guitar player invited her deliberately to forestall any awkward issues being raised?