Why become a member? ×

BBC4 Tonight Funk

steantval

Became a bit 'black' for my liking - always revolving around opression and such. I've never judged funk (or people for that matter) on colour, but the program did and I feel sorry for whoever thinks it's a colour thing.

Hope that's not too controversial but it's weird being white and being conditioned into thinking you like 'black music'. WTF?

Just watched it. All the usual averagely talented bunch like Stevie Wonder, EWF, George Clinton, Average white band, Kool and the gang and Graham Central station and Herbie Hancock etc.

Phew! Lucky they also included one of the real heavyweight funk acts like Beck😋

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1492809645' post='3283474']
Became a bit 'black' for my liking - always revolving around opression and such. I've never judged funk (or people for that matter) on colour, but the program did and I feel sorry for whoever thinks it's a colour thing.

Hope that's not too controversial but it's weird being white and being conditioned into thinking you like 'black music'. WTF?
[/quote]

Where do you think funk came from?

[/quote]

That's a bit like saying Hip Hop is a bit too 'black' for your liking. It's just fact. White people have been embracing / kidnapping (depending on your outlook) black music for a long time. The music itself is not necessarily about race but it wasn't white people that invented funk, or hip hop. Or jazz, or blues, or rock & roll.

[/quote]
But if the true origin of the genre, which I don't doubt, the BBC would be making a very shallow, program if they omitted that from the programme.

That said, I've not seen this program but many things like this make me feel guilt for being white.

[/quote]

Who's doing the conditioning Mr T.?( ironic) The arrangements, notes used, musicality and attitude comes primarily from the fact these musicians were predominantly ( not always) black musicians. These same notes etc are open to every genre of music to use and interpret how they wish. No one can ignore the impact years of oppression and conditioning has had on the formulation of black identity.

Maybe the best thing to do is,listen to music with our ears and not our eyes.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1492836690' post='3283533']

But if the true origin of the genre, which I don't doubt, the BBC would be making a very shallow, program if they omitted that from the programme.

That said, I've not seen this program but many things like this make me feel guilt for being white.
[/quote]

Don't feel guilty about this for being white, instead concentrate on awful dancing and being slow sprinters.
I am mixed race (Scots and Caribbean) as I used to love the guaranteed sports day win, until someone who was fully black joined my school.
Only time I ever cursed one half of my heritage when I stopped winning.....

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1492847245' post='3283568']
Don't feel guilty about this for being white, instead concentrate on awful dancing and being slow sprinters.
I am mixed race (Scots and Caribbean) as I used to love the guaranteed sports day win, until someone who was fully black joined my school.
[/quote]

But I bet you looked cooler than him sprinting in a kilt! :D

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1492856606' post='3283666']
So your Scottish, Mixed Race and look like Pamela Anderson. Man, that's either terrific or very weird.......
[/quote]

Ha!

I'd like to say more like The Rock in the new film but........... more a rotund stumpy Viv Anderson than Pamela Anderson with a hint of Rusty Lee thrown in there

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1492847245' post='3283568']
[/quote]

:D
I'm 58 next month, so if you're setting me an objective, Do you mind if we make it a 3-legged race?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1492880746' post='3283880']

:D
I'm 58 next month, so if you're setting me an objective, Do you mind if we make it a 3-legged race?
[/quote]

Without getting too personal, are we both racing on our own for this one, I heard on the sly your nickname is tripod...

[/quote]

Just watched this and am very saddened by your comment. To me the political context in the documentary was incredibly important, and to see Fred Wesley getting so genuinely choked so many years later recalling the audience chanting "I'm Black & Proud" really sums up how important the music was to the civil rights movement and vice versa. Fabulous music too.

Yup - catch up TV for me.

Not a bad prog, despite the heavy handed attempt to introduce politics into it.

Motown music was offhandedly dismissed as (IIRC) "sugar coated" - despite the fact that George Clinton started his career with them, and the FUNK brothers, including my hero, James Jamerson, did much to further so called "black rhythms", which eventually led to Funk.

They also got the details wrong regarding Clinton's early band, the Parliaments. They were NOT a 50's group,and they were NOT unknown - they were a 60's soul group who had hits on both sides of the Atlantic - their single "Don't Be Sore At Me" was pretty big in the UK Clubs when released in 1967.It even got bootlegged when supplies of the single ran out!

Kool & the Gang, happily got an early mention, but NO mention of their first single, Kool and the Gang/Kool and the Gang, played all over in 1969, much earlier than the program made out that Funk was beginning to emerge.

And No mention of Charles Wright and the 103rd Street Rhythm Band's "Express Yourself" (1970) - one of THE early funk tracks.

Yes, they talked a HUGE amount about James Brown - quite rightly - but saying the change of style just "happened" in James's head - when, in fact, it occurred because almost all of his successful 60's band walked out due to not getting paid!

Not as good a story, I guess...

Ah well. As they say, that's showbiz :)

Edited by Root45