Why become a member? ×

Unreliable buyers and sellers

SH73

I have been using a site called Schpock for about a year to buy and sell various items.Mainly items that collect dust in garage, loft or items I have no longer use for.I've picked up a nice accoustic guitar and an LP Epiphone.

What frustrates me that often people agree to buy arrange to collect and they do not show up. Often they come up with the same excuse. When they re arrange to collect....they fail again and ignore the messages.
Really gets me when someone is unreliable.

Unfortunately its a trend these days for certain people to while away an hour skimming through 'for sale' forums, just for fun, making enquiries and offering bids, then disappearing forever. They do it on Ebay, but its not so bad, gumtree is awful.

Another way to look at what you're experiencing is being a shopkeeper?

Having the same issues myself. First time on Shpock but am so tired of issues on Gumtree and eBay. I am selling an electric guitar and have been messed about so much I have given up for the time being. What really frustrates me is that it was a very good price and perfect for a starter (£100 for a yam, recently service with practice amp etc) so it's not as though it was thousands AND I needed the money to buy a combo and cab off here. Luckily I managed to sell,other stuff and get the kit I needed but I had two weeks when it was 'sold' when I didn't feel I could do much with it. And again this week, this time with a £3 Haynes manual, it's not the money on that one, it's the principle of it.

I did once arrange to buy a bass, the bloke gave me his address etc. Then an hour before I was due to go, he messaged and said sorry I've sold the bass. I was fumming!
I've also bought a lot of crap when I should of known better than to trust what a seller says. But that was my fault.
Oh and a few months ago a Brazilian guy tried to buy my amp that was UK only sale twice bidding at the very end, then giving a load of grief and bad feedback when I said I wasn't shipping to there. That really annoyed me I had to block him as he just kept hassling me.

Shpock seems crap whenever I've looked at it. But I'm not in a big city or anything.

I had that recently when I advertised a lawnmower on Facebook. Bloke said he definitely wanted it, would be round that evening, so I got it ready and stayed in...never showed...messaged me and said his car had broken down, could we arrange another day for hime to pick up...replied yes...never heard from him again. Sold for the asking price a few days later. Never hold things for people just because they say they'll have it...first person to put money in your hand is the buyer. Sae goes when buying (sorry, Twincam), it ain't yours until you've at ;east paid a holding deposit.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1492860396' post='3283697']
The trouble with sites like Gumtree is you cannot mark people down (as you can via feedback on Fleabay) if they mess you around.
[/quote]

You cannot leave bad feedback on ebay for a buyer that doesnt show, or for any other reason

I actually run a shop & we get so bored with idiots who waste an hour (usually when it's raining), doing the 'enthusiastic' act,
merely to stroll out and say they are going to meet the other half for a coffee, but they'll bring them back with them later.

...........yeah, right...........

:yarr:

Like everything there are good and bad. I bought a new in box pedal power supply off shpock yesterday and it arrived safely this morning. This morning I picked up a new interior for one of my car projects from a guy off eBay. Perfect and better than described. But as always for every decent person there is a scumbag. Every so often you will find the scumbag. That is one of the reasons I like buying off forums as the vast majority are decent on most forums.