Why become a member? ×

Tribute / function bands

Kevin Dean

When i used to work for agencies on the club circuit there used to be whats known as 'shop windows'. These were held at a social club on a sunday afternoon where numerous bands and singers would perform a few songs each to a room full of landlords, entertainment secretaries and other agents. I got loads of work from them. Best to ring an agent to see if they still do them.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1493134176' post='3285939']
so no recomendations of agencies then ;)
[/quote]

It was 20 years ago when i used them so theyve all dissappeared. Ring a few local to you and have a chat with them to find out their fees and what they can do for you.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1493134176' post='3285939']
so no recomendations of agencies then ;)
[/quote]

What are you after ?
For your band to do an audition for an agency that books bands ? Or are you after an audition for yourself with a Function/Tribute band ?
Your OP is a little bit confusing.

In my experience you get work with tribute and function bands because you know someone, which could be a player in the band who recommends you to whoever organises the band (this quite often is another member of the band) or you know the agent for a band, but getting work as an individual (ie not a solo performer) through an agent is much less common, as, again in my experience, agents don't tend to get too involved in the day to day running of the band, they just handle bookings.
The answer, as always in music, is you have to know a guy (or girl). You could go through ads on gumtree or the like, but in my experience these tend to be amateur level bands playing a handful of gigs a year who don't know a lot of musicians. The full-time professionals I know ALWAYS hire people they've played with already or come highly recommended.
Some agencies run free showcases for prospective clients to come and see the band, some bands do them themselves, or just do a gig at a pub and invite clients.
But once you're in, you are IN. It takes a long time to get steady work but, after 7 years, I turn away about as much work as I take on.

There are no such agencies, unfortunately.

Still plenty of places like Steve Allen and Starlight surviving that will be a source of work if you are good enough reliable enough have a good act and do something they dont already have on their books a million times over.

And remember if an Agent gets you a gig, regardless of how much of the fee he is keeping for himself, you are still making more than you would sitting in front of the tv or for that matter trying to book yourself on a regular basis.
Most agents are greedy conniving manipulators, but that is exactly what you need to get you work. A friend once said that if the agents are all sharks, go to the biggest nastiest one you can fond - they will make more money than the others for themelves and somm of it is BOUND to be left over for you. Usually more than with lesser sharks!

He is right.