Why become a member? ×

The Kiss Of Death

blue

One place I played with a former band a few years ago in Swansea had the strangest thing going on.

Large pub split into 2 places, I think it actually used to be 2 separate businesses and they did a large doorway knock-thru type thing.

Band played in the smaller room and in the larger room they had a separate DJ playing current music at a similar volume to the band. The strange thing was the only thing separating the two rooms was a curtain pulled across the wide open double door! Basically when you were between songs all you could hear was the disco from next door through the curtain. People only came into the band room if the main room was full!!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1493048062' post='3285172']
One place I played with a former band a few years ago in Swansea had the strangest thing going on.

Large pub split into 2 places, I think it actually used to be 2 separate businesses and they did a large doorway knock-thru type thing.

Band played in the smaller room and in the larger room they had a separate DJ playing current music at a similar volume to the band. The strange thing was the only thing separating the two rooms was a curtain pulled across the wide open double door! Basically when you were between songs all you could hear was the disco from next door through the curtain. People only came into the band room if the main room was full!!
[/quote]

Been through the same configuration.

1. Separate room, no bar
2. Not really established as a live music venue.

Again it's the "kiss of death"

I hope no one says;

"If your band is really good the punters will come into the separate barless room"

No, they will not.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1493032396' post='3284926']
It's important to be aware that the band is not the only or main attraction for a lot of people. Pubs, clubs and the like are not concert halls. People may wish to chat, have a drink, watch a bit of TV, etc, etc as well as listen to the music.
[/quote]

Ideally the type of bar and clubs bands should avoid.

Blue

We played a corporate dinner-dance thing in Brighton many moons ago for a company who shall remain nameless -- let's just call them 'Boyal Scank of Rotland'. They paid us handsomely and put us up in a very nice hotel for the night, and it would have been the perfect gig if not for the fact that by the time we went on, the bright young things had been sat on their arses for two hours first with dinner and then second with all the speeches etc... so of course, all they wanted to do was hit the bar. Which was in the room next door. We played our entire set to our WAGABAHs and maybe 3 or 4 of the dinner guests. I looked on it as a well-paid rehearsal and a free weekend away.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1493075860' post='3285474']
We played a corporate dinner-dance thing in Brighton many moons ago for a company who shall remain nameless -- let's just call them 'Boyal Scank of Rotland'. They paid us handsomely and put us up in a very nice hotel for the night, and it would have been the perfect gig if not for the fact that by the time we went on, the bright young things had been sat on their arses for two hours first with dinner and then second with all the speeches etc... so of course, all they wanted to do was hit the bar. Which was in the room next door. We played our entire set to our WAGABAHs and maybe 3 or 4 of the dinner guests. I looked on it as a well-paid rehearsal and a free weekend away.
[/quote]

Rich, that's a good example of the point I'm trying to make.

For those of us working out butts off in clubs and bars it's an unfortunate part of the business.

Like they say, "it goes with the territory".

Now, when bands hit touring headliner status playing dedicated showcase music venues you don't have to deal with the "separate room" delema.

Blue

Edited by blue

I do a really fancy restaurant gig with my duo that's like that. Playing for yourself or a few people at most in front of you. Most folks are out of sight. My buddy hates it. You get no immediate feedback from the audience until they're leaving, when they will stop by and say how much they enjoyed it. It pays good and they feed me lobster, and re-book. Much rather play this other bar which is down the road. Working class place where some folks drink too much, hoot and holler and sing along and cheer after a song. No lobster, but more satisfying.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1493112848' post='3285634']
I do a really fancy restaurant gig with my duo that's like that. Playing for yourself or a few people at most in front of you. Most folks are out of sight. My buddy hates it. You get no immediate feedback from the audience until they're leaving, when they will stop by and say how much they enjoyed it. It pays good and they feed me lobster, and re-book. Much rather play this other bar which is down the road. Working class place where some folks drink too much, hoot and holler and sing along and cheer after a song. No lobster, but more satisfying.
[/quote]

What could be more satisfying than Lobster?