Why become a member? ×

The Kiss Of Death

blue

While pub gigs in the UK are very different than our bar gigs in the States this still might be a common issue or problem.

This more times than not can be "the kiss of death" for a gig. I'm talking about when the bar is in a different room or somehow separated from where the band is playing.

In the States no matter how good the band is folks will sit and congregate at the bar and not pay much attention to the band.

Does this happen in your pub gigs?

Blue

This can be very frustrating for the musicians. However, I have found that these people are often enjoying the music, albeit more passively than we would prefer.

So on the positive side, where the band isn't the main draw, we can still feel comfortable that we are doing our job - keeping people in the bar, buying beer.

Yep, one place we play occaisonally has a seperate room for the bands. Most of the people who`ve come to see the headliners stay fashionably out in the bar itself until the headliners come on, never thinking that they may - shock horror - like one or more of the support bands.

Cos this can happen, I found my fave band purely by accident at the Rebellion Festival a couple of years back. Didn`t know any of the bands that were on on the Sat eve at 8pm, so just wandered into all the rooms to see if I liked any. As soon as I heard Booze & Glory that was it, I was staying, was just knocked out by them. And have just got back from doing 3 support gigs in the last 3 days for them, so watching bands you don`t know is always worth doing.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1492964116' post='3284439']
Yep, one place we play occaisonally has a seperate room for the bands. Most of the people who`ve come to see the headliners stay fashionably out in the bar itself until the headliners come on.[/quote]

Do headliners play pubs in the UK?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1492965568' post='3284453']
Do headliners play pubs in the UK?...
[/quote]

Yes, in the sense of being at the 'head' of the posters and flyers. The term in Europe does not imply anything special in status more than that. Our band (The Daub'z...) have often been at the top of the bill, but we're hardly the Stones or Springsteen..! :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

Not everyone in a bar wants to hear a band tho. A lot of people want to be able to conduct a conversation without the usually deafening pub band drowning them out. For that reason, a seperate section of a bar usually works to keep both sets of punters happy.

We played a really weird pub a couple of years back where the bar area was raised and the pool table / stage area was down about 10 steps, I have no idea how it will have sounded up the steps but at best the speakers were at ankle height, it was really strange to be looking up at your "audience" well when I say audience I actually meant about 5 people in total....we didn't go back!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1492966132' post='3284455']

Yes, in the sense of being at the 'head' of the posters and flyers. The term in Europe does not imply anything special in status more than that. Our band (The Daub'z...) have often been at the top of the bill, but we're hardly the Stones or Springsteen..! :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Yeah, there's a difference over here in the States. Headliners are national and international professional bands on tour.

We've been at the top of bill and closed for some shows but we're far from what we would call a headliner.

Blue

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1492969316' post='3284492']
Not everyone in a bar wants to hear a band tho. A lot of people want to be able to conduct a conversation without the usually deafening pub band drowning them out. For that reason, a seperate section of a bar usually works to keep both sets of punters happy.
[/quote]

Interesting, we really don't have that in my neck of the woods.

My opinion, if your bar is in a separate room from the band it's not good. Whether your there for music or to chat with friends people are not going to leave that bar area.

Now, there are some originals clubs where you pay a $5.00 to go into the back room ( no bar) where the band plays. Even then most bands are lucky to draw more than friends and family.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1492965568' post='3284453']
Do headliners play pubs in the UK?

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah, depends on both the act and the venue though. The one in question has a dedicated venue-type room next to it, with full stage, lights and PA and entry is only charged into that room itself.

A problem we often encounter is pub gigs in the summer. If it's a nice evening you're playing to an empty bar because everyone is out in the beer garden. Some of our local pubs make provision for this by having outdoor playing areas, but then you're praying it doesn't rain...
That said, we played at a rock pub in Northampton in January on a freezing cold mid week winters night, and most of the small crowd present spent the night huddled together in the outdoor smoking area. Can't win!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1492975547' post='3284583']
Mates band did a gig where access to the gents loo was between keyboard player and drummer straight thru middle of the set up area.
Dave
[/quote]

Done that, my bass neck was basically a gate to the gents, I had to lift it every time someone wanted to enter or leave it. I remember pointing out the problem to the landlady before we set up, but there was nowhere else to go.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492977372' post='3284602']

Done that, my bass neck was basically a gate to the gents, I had to lift it every time someone wanted to enter or leave it.
[/quote]

You should have charged them for access, like the bogs at some train stations.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1492977607' post='3284608']
You should have charged them for access, like the bogs at some train stations.
[/quote]

I was joking with the punters that they needed to buy me a drink to get to the loos, but none of them did!

Depends on the gig. We have played Funk to an L shaped room and the people want to dance as its the nature of the music. The bar in the other part of the room finds it easier to hear the drink orders and the dancers can take a break. Some people in pubs like the music but they still want to talk so a two room venue can work with any music. Not everyone wants to stand at the bar and have to shout in the ear of a mate to be heard. Sometimes doing three shorter sets, with a decent break between, gives pub punters the best of both worlds. I will pretty much play anywhere, and have.

It's important to be aware that the band is not the only or main attraction for a lot of people. Pubs, clubs and the like are not concert halls. People may wish to chat, have a drink, watch a bit of TV, etc, etc as well as listen to the music. When I see a band in a club or pub, I don't listen attentively to every number. I may enjoy the evening overall and appreciate the band, but I'm not there solely to see them. Nothing wrong with that. We don't have the right to demand total attention from an audience.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1493032396' post='3284926']
It's important to be aware that the band is not the only or main attraction for a lot of people. Pubs, clubs and the like are not concert halls. People may wish to chat, have a drink, watch a bit of TV, etc, etc as well as listen to the music. When I see a band in a club or pub, I don't listen attentively to every number. I may enjoy the evening overall and appreciate the band, but I'm not there solely to see them. Nothing wrong with that. We don't have the right to demand total attention from an audience.
[/quote]

We try and stay away from bars and clubs where the band is more like background music. We have bars where the patrons come there specifically to see the band.

Blue